SRAM Rival vs Shimano 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrishodges

Hey Guys,

Looking at new bikes atm, and have seen a couple which I like, with the only main difference being the name and the gear shifters.
Has anyone got any advice as to which of these systems is better? SRAM Rival or Shimano 105?

Many thanks

Chris

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hi and :welcome:

Personally, I'd say you'd be best trying them both and seeing if you prefer one or other.
SRAM, Shimano or Campag, it's not that one is better or worse, but they are different.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
No worries. Sorry I couldn't give a clear-cut answer, but there isn't one, really. IMHO.
Someone will be along soon to say that one is brilliant and the other two are rubbish!!!

Garz

Squat Member
If they are all the same price bracket then there wont be much difference. If it's the next model up then they may be better but usually only in the weight department i.e. lighter.

As I have only used Tiagra/105 I cant comment on the SRAM but I have heard they are equally as good. The best value I would say at the moment would be 105 as the price is very reasonable.

*(sorry this is if you were buying the groupset; if it's same bike/frame and had choice of 105/Rival then I would go Rival)

sayek1

Big thumbs up from me for the SRAM. Having just got a new bike with Tiagra I have decided I don't like the Shimano system much, but I appreciate it is what you are used to.

SRAM are a bit lighter I think but what's a couple of hundred grams.

I am sure you'll get many differing views. Try them both and see what you think - whatever you go for I reckon you'll be happy and probably be biased after a few months to whatever you choose.

l4dva

Guru
Its SRAM for me too... i had a tiagra on my old bike and worked fine only problem was i just couldn't get comfortable on the hoods, hands would start aching... sram shifters no problems at all and the double tap gear change is just brilliant...

Give them both a try and go for what ever feels best for you...

aberal

Guru
There's a world of difference between Tiagra and 105 in my experience.

Garz

Squat Member
There's a world of difference between Tiagra and 105 in my experience.

Very true I have barely had to touch the RD of mine since initial setting it up, and as it's discounted I think it's a close call which is actually better in price/performance.

Top Bottom