SRAM shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Have full Ultegra SL groupset. Can shifters be replaced with SRAM shifters ? Very, very sorry if this is a time wasting stupid question. I`m a relative novice keen to improve bike knowledge. Ta for all replies.

MajorMantra

I'm fairly sure you'll have to change the front and rear mechs as well. Your chainset, chain, and cassette should work fine though.

Matthew

Will1985

Über Member
SRAM and Shimano cassettes have the same spacing but the mech parallelogram geometries and the shifter cable pull lengths are different, so as MajorMantra says it would require more than just the shifters to be changed.

simon_brooke

jimbut said:
Have full Ultegra SL groupset. Can shifters be replaced with SRAM shifters ? Very, very sorry if this is a time wasting stupid question. I`m a relative novice keen to improve bike knowledge. Ta for all replies.

You can't, the cable pull ratio is different. SRAM shifters pull more cable per index position than either Shimano or Campag - this makes their shifting more reliable and precise, but it means you have to use SRAM derailleurs with them. As MajorMantra says, I would expect your cassette and chainset to work, though.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

My crankset is FSA SL-K Light compact. Does this make a difference ? Is the bottom line, if I wanna use SRAM shifters, I`ll need to buy SRAM derailleurs to accompany them ?

Top Bottom