Sram + shimano compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I am looking at getting some sram rival shifters, could I get away with just shifters, rear mech and front derailler? Or is it a case of an entire change of groupset - which economically isn't viable

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I would have thought so as SRAM and Shimano chains and cassettes are interchangeable.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
That was my thoughts.....but my researching skills are lacking due to tiredness + annoying american waffle on most sites.

I take it the chain widths and gaps between the cassette are the same then for the two?

MacB

montage said:
That was my thoughts.....but my researching skills are lacking due to tiredness + annoying american waffle on most sites.

I take it the chain widths and gaps between the cassette are the same then for the two?

yep, though I believe the new SRAM XX cassettes are different, but at £300 each I don't think too many of us will be worried about that. It's not easy finding out some detail, not surprisingly, SRAM, Shimano and Campagnola mention little about mix and match.

I've tried running the American waffle through a translation tool and it just returns.....bullshit

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
MacB said:
I've tried running the American waffle through a translation tool and it just returns.....bullshit

dang

Cheers for the help MacB. From what I gather, so long as the shifters match the derailleurs, all is dandy. Now the question is, do I convert my shifters and derailleurs over the sram for £200ish to save 200grams (202g to be more accurate). My Ultegra gear was in a crash, so is a bit scratched up, so I doubt I would get more than £60 for the shifters+derailleurs :biggrin: ...... hmmmm, I should stop wanting bling ;)

AlanW

Guru
montage said:
I am looking at getting some sram rival shifters, could I get away with just shifters, rear mech and front derailler? Or is it a case of an entire change of groupset - which economically isn't viable

I wonder if this was based on what you have seen in the "Found a Bargain" section. ;)

MacB

AlanW said:
I wonder if this was based on what you have seen in the "Found a Bargain" section. ;)

had his head turned by a bit of bling eh? white shifter hoods weren't they? maybe the Americanism 'pimp my ride' applies:biggrin:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
AlanW said:
oh yes!

Top Bottom