Sram Torpedo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greenbank

Über Member
A toy for people who can't produce enough torque to get up steep hills and/or haven't developed the souplesse to spin down the other side.

(I can do short 15% climbs on a 71" gear and prolonged 10% hills but only 160rpm down the other side.)

Bokonon

Über Member
spandex said:
What do you all think?

If you mean the website, it is cute but absolutely rubbish for accessability.

If you mean the product, what is the point? Fixed is good. There are few instances where a single speed makes sense. It is unlikely that many would want to regularly switch between the two on the same bike.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
:tongue:!I was completely appalled at having to click on a US flag to access the English version of the site.:sad:

Other than that, it looks like a cute idea, but does it have any significant advantages over a double-threaded single/free hub?

jimboalee

Where abouts do you put the screwdriver, and won't it be a struggle giving it seven turns while pedalling? :-)

To use the freewheel, you'll fit a rear brake. Once you've set it up as a freewheel with a rear brake, will it ever get changed to a fixed?

I've got a Torpedo Boy, coaster brake hub. 1964 and still going.

skwerl

Landslide said:
:biggrin:!I was completely appalled at having to click on a US flag to access the English version of the site.;)

Other than that, it looks like a cute idea, but does it have any significant advantages over a double-threaded single/free hub?

SRAM's biggest english-speaking market is the US. The flag indicates, to Americans, the link for English langauge. What's odd is that they only chose German and English.

A lot of people used (before fixed riding became a fashion) to fit one fixed one free to allow the option of switching over before long downhill sections or the return leg of a long ride to allow your legs a rest. Being able to flip without going through the hassle and grime of flipping the wheel over could be useful. I doubt there's a market for it though. I imagine most fixed bikes now only travel single digit mileage each day

Greenbank

Über Member
skwerl said:
I imagine most fixed bikes now only travel single digit mileage each day

True, but then many are purchased for commuting which are, more often than not, single digit mileage.

But anyone who does serious mileage on a fixed bike learns to spin properly so long descents aren't a problem anyway. I've never needed to flip my wheel around on a 100 mile or longer ride. There'd be no point since it's a fixed/fixed hub anyway.

I've not seen any singlespeed bikes on Audaxes. They're either geared or fixed.

Top Bottom