SS conversion/chain tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Does anyone happen to have a kit or tensioner for a basic single speed conversion that they want a couple of quid for?
Like to On One Doofer.

Found an old frame that I'm considering having as a cheap hack.

Cheers
Tom

FishFright

More wheels than sense

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought a Doofer last year but I have already used it for my own s/s conversion.

PS If you do buy a Doofer, you may find this useful ... I found that the chain came off a couple of times because a Doofer normally pulls the chain away from the sprocket. I fiddled with the spring and got the device to push the chain up instead which means the chain wraps round several extra teeth. It is very reliable this way round. (I don't know why it wasn't designed that way in the first place!)

On-one doofer chain tensioner modded to push chain up.jpg

The chain was new and tight in that picture. It has stretched a bit since then and is being pushed up more now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How exactly did you modify the Doofer to push up please?
My first attempt was to mess about with the spring so it pulled up rather than pulling down. After a while though the rattling of it and the chain when going along rough roads was starting to annoy me. I then removed the spring altogether and put a large washer over the attaching screw so I could tighten the assembly up against the dropout. I have tightened it enough now that it will not move by itself but I am able to move it by hand from time to time as the chain stretches, in order to take up the slack. That works really well - I am not dropping the chain and it is much quieter when riding.

Top Bottom