ss fs how long to get used to it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ps,

hehe the weather is just perfect for a cold sunday race. glad it's not me. hey, i just finished putting the dmr2 tensioner on. looks great. bit fiddley but ok. looks a lot better now. i ordered my red chain as well. had to strip my headset bearings, clean and re oil. they are buggered but i may get couple months out of them. going to get a hope set ordered. you looking forward to tomorrow?

trio25

Über Member
Race was good, rain started as I started riding home. I was riding rubbish though, had to walk up hills and my descending looked like I hadn't been on a bike before!

20mins in that commute means a lot if it is raining or been a hard day, I had 20miles on fri, took the best bike so it took less time!

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i came down to watch, i was the guy with the marshall at the end of the descent after the rock garden, where it switched backed to the climb up the hill. there were 4 ss i counted. one bloke was in top 4, i think, before a puncture, he was going to give up till 2 lads were taking mickey saying he was going to be beaten by a girl (you), he scrounged a tube and was on his way.

yeah it did rain hard, i did about 20 miles on mtl after, was soaked and filthy. my legs are killing me today, i did 25 mile on tar yesterday. takes some getting used to ss doesn't it?

well done on another trophy.

i've put on my new tensioner and having skipping problems on really steep sections, may have too much tension, going to let some off as i don't have a lot off chain in contact with the rear sprocket.

trio25

Über Member
I was having a bad ride, can't remember anyone. I think we were the only two singlespeed riders.

Does the tensioner push up or down, I've heard up is better. But I think there are other problems associated with ful-suss bikes and the chain tension!

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
no there was at least 4.
it pushes down, i had no problems at all with the ghetto mod, i have put an awful lot of tension as i thought it would be better. so i am going to slacken it off to something similar to what the mech tension was. i don't think push up would work on fs as there is quite a lot of slack needed for chain growth so the tensioner fouls the chain stay.

i've had a good week with regards to mileage and time on the bike, i am absolutely drained, falling asleep like an old man, just like when i started back on the bike in december. on the upside the average time i am taking on my routes is decreasing and i am clearing more and every day. plus my jeans are getting slacker and slacker so i must have lost weight...bonus.

was humorous when every time you passed you were talking to yourself about being knackered. you did look tired on the last lap, you seem to struggle getting up the climb.

trio25

Über Member
I was talking to myself all the time, I was riding so badly. Walked most of the climb! I struggled on the ride to the race though so that wasn't a suprise!

How many hours this week then?

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
m-3,
t-3 1/2
w-2
t-4 1/2
f-2
s-2 1/2
s-4

i think these times are in the right order, times are right just might have mixed days up.

90% off rd, these are near enough guesses as i don't tend to keep accurate records. i used to but, i decided to stop taking a watch, putting phone on silent, took off my computer. i do enjoy riding a hell of a lot more. i just take a look at the clock before i go to the garage and have a look when i get back. when i say i am getting faster and fitter, it is a statement on more of a hunch, based on quick looks at the clock in the hallway. tbh though, you know when you are getting better and you know when you having a tough day. friday was a tough day in the wind.

trio25

Über Member
Wow that is a lot of hours! 15hours is an average for me, but I am trying to build in a rest/recovery week one in every four. I thought that was a lot!

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i don't do that every week. last year my doc said i was repaired enough to get back biking, so i started riding a couple of times a week. since the beginning of this year i have been out, 90% of the time, every night. at first i was doing tar work with slicks on to build up for a commute to new job, the company went bust after a week. that commute was 13 miles either way. since then i've been planning on going back to uni and have been planning on a 25 mile commute. my kids are grown up and off to uni soon and my wife is great. i was bike mad before we met and she says i've done my duty so i should get to do what i enjoy, cycling wise. so i've been out a lot this year, but tar work is BORING. as my fitness started to improve, i couldn't resist the pull of the bridleways / lee quarry and now that's mostly what i do. i've still got an awful long way to get back to my former self and fitness but i now feel it won't be long and hopefully by the end of the year i will start thinking of training for senior class triathlons. your spending a lot of time on the bike, are you training for something?

trio25

Über Member
Put some cross tyres on it and it'll be perfect!

I'm doing a few races again this year but its mainly for fun. Main event is transwales again, did it last year and loved it!

RedBike

Put some cross tyres on it and it'll be perfect!
Lol, i've already looked to see if the cross tyres would fit. I breathed a sigh of relief when they wouldn't!

I did want a pompino/roadrat instead but they worked out too expensive for a hack bike. I will only be doing the one cross race at Tivot dale. I will be on a MTB!

Trio it could be intresting now you've got the advantage of being a lot fitter and having a cross bike. I'm not loosing again!

Top Bottom