St Johns Cycles or SJS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I tend to buy a few bits form sjs or st johns cycles and apart from the std £5 on every order carriage charge i enjoy the experience goods always arrive on time and so far not had a sorry no stock message .

The last order i placed last week included 4 x Schwalbe hs159 tyres in 27 x 1 1/4" size first couple fitted with no issue's at all . The next one to be fitted would be fine up to 30 psi and anything higher it would just start to pop off the rim tried 3 different rims and had the same issues .

IMG_20171018_055942666.jpg

so i contacted them Wednesday morning via e mail with a picture showing what i thought was the issue , they acknowledged the e mail saying somebody from the technical team would be in touch and sure enough "Bob" did get in touch and agreed with me re the issue and said he would send out an foc replacement and would i dispose of the faulty tyre .

Sure enough said replacement arrived yesterday am and was duly fitted this morning and stayed in place right up to the 80 psi pressure and 2 hours later it hadnt crept off the rim , so will try and get some miles in later or over the weekend just to make sure all is ok .

Just a thanks to the staff at SJS who showed me a very good level of service and i will be back

Thanks for confirming what I thought might be the reason for one of my tyres doing the same thing.

Bodhbh

Guru
Regarding the delivery charge - I've always been a bit put off by it unless I'm making a big order - I ordered some pump spares last night and it was only £1.50. So maybe they've changed it. Happy here, as the 7 quid pump hose will keep my 35 quid Mountain Morph going another few years and it's the sort of thing only they stock.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
it's the sort of thing only they stock.

Key point.

SJS - and Spa in Harrogate - stock components and other bits and pieces many other shops do not.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Key point.

SJS - and Spa in Harrogate - stock components and other bits and pieces many other shops do not.
Or at least don't list online for sale, especially when so many local bike shops use the same shopRaleigh and a few other systems: if it's not on that supplier's catalogue, it's not on the shop's website even if they stock it.

bpsmith

Veteran
I ordered a new hanger and rear derailleur cable adjustment barrel to get my bike back on the road. Was then told not to change anything in case they want to inspect the bike.

Firstly, the parts came within 36 hours.

Secondly, when calling them to explain that I genuinely want the parts, but that I may need to return them if claim goes a different route, they said that they would give me 2-3 months to return them if unopened and cover letter given to explain why.

Never used them before, but with definitely use them again after that service!

swansonj

Guru
I have always liked them, for the range of less-mainstream stock they carry, their willingness to embrace less trendy aspects of bike design, and their customer service, or more specifically, their willingness to do a bit extra to keep people cycling. I have bought a solo and a tandem from them and been delighted.

But they are a bit "marmite" and there have always been sections of the cycling community who have not got on with them. Their advertising claims can be a bit over the top - every one of their bikes is always the best ever. One specific would be that their claims for the reliability and efficiency of a Rohloff (or their enthusiastic endorsement of Roholoff's own claims) rely on the small print to be true. Their whole embracing of 26" wheels for touring offends some people who doubt the arguments about tyre efficiency and see it as a cul de sac. Chris Juden always had a prickly relationship with them (and CJ is still a guru to many of us) based on some of the above although the only extra specific that sticks in the mind was use of 5 mm rather than 6 mm mounting for rear racks. In business terms, way back, they did some cyber-squatting in the early days of the Internet before conventions about behaviour were clear, which some people hold against them. And @dellzeq formerly of this parish told me they have a bad reputation in the trade for profitting by buying up bankrupt stock from other bike shops.

Top Bottom