st malo to cap d'agde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prjw

Hi I,m fairly new to cycling and am attempting to do the above in about three weeks if possible. I,m 54 and in reasonable nick and have just bought a tourer ( galaxy touring bike) I have a few concerns. As I am travelling alone and camping I am a bit worried about bike security at night. Any advice on food fuel ? I intend going towards nantes then bordeaux then toulouse. There seem to be a lot of organised routes which is fine by me at this stage of my cycling career but are they reliable ? Surfaces ? Someone told me today I must be mad. Surely not !

Any tips or advice really welcome.
Thanks
Paul

Maz

Guru
Hi/Welcome
I think your question might be better addressed in the 'Touring and Expedition' section of this forum. Maybe you can re-post it there for greater visibility, or maybe Admin could transfer it.
Cheers

Should not be a problem for you in 3 weeks – I am similarly young and not in terribly good nick and do similar a couple of times a year

Roads are good in France, traffic is sympathetic and as to route in 3 weeks you should be able to pick and choose the specifics of where you want to go – main thing is to enjoy the journey and not let the objective dominate the ride. The route you have outlined really takes care of itself – pick a main line taking in the places you want to go then put the detail in on the fly-I did same about 4 years ago St Malo to Montpellier in just over two weeks without rushing

as to food just eat what you want – whilst avoiding those things you know upset you during the daytime – I tend to start off empty and have regular light snacks and a lot of liquid during the day followed by a good feed when I camp – but everyone is different – just need to make sure that overall you eat enough – I lost around a stone the first time I toured seriously through not getting my strategy right

as to bike security I always carry a long wire lock but rarely use it when I’m camping unless I’m in a very exposed populated place and have bad vibes

And there is nothing wrong with being mad – its everybody else that is out of step

enjoy

Bigtallfatbloke

Two curly locks with different combinations. Lock the bike always. Take the cables through the wheels, around the frame and dont forget to run it through the saddle as well so they cant nick just the saddle for a 'laugh'. Chain the bike to a solid fence at night if poss...failing that...

Take a length of nylon string..it weighs zippo and has several uses:

You can tie your bike to your finger, foot, tent whatever at night to give you some warning of a theft...at least you can yell out and hopefully the scallywag will scarper.

It makes a good clothes line to dry your gear

You can ties stuff onto the bike with it

it makes a good extra/replacement guyline for your tent in a strong wind.

..you get the picture.

OP
OP
P

prjw

leaving on 16th from portsmouth (june) but really have no idea how long it will take.

Top Bottom