Stage 9 - Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
With Vino falling further behind, is it the end of this tour for him? He looks very uncomfortable. I think now Kloden will be given the lead role and I will be surprised if Vino finishes the tour. But, and maybe this is a big but, maybe polotics will intervene and the Kashak government may intervene and demand that he keep riding. Any thoughts?

SamNichols

What a weird stage. When are these supposed 'favourites' actually going to really start challenging each other - they seem to be letting everyone else do the hard work at the moment.
Vino's probably gone, there's no way he can claw back 8 minutes.

Rob S

Anyone see that stray dog get hit by a rider...good to see both seem to have got away unhurt but just look how easily those deep section carbon rims fold up :eek:

Tetedelacourse

SamNichols said:
What a weird stage. When are these supposed 'favourites' actually going to really start challenging each other - they seem to be letting everyone else do the hard work at the moment.

It will explode in the Pyrenees. Everyone's been too tense in the Alps, apart from Rasmussen. I think Valverde is measuring his efforts. The pyrenees have some horrendous stage finishes and they're all clearly planning to attack there. I think over much has been made of the TT. We wont see major gaps in that.

Vino is well out of it and he knows it. Kloden is now clear team leader - surely? :eek: :blush:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
SamNichols said:

Might it be because we are actually witnessing a relatively clean tour for the first time in ages? This may show just how much the 'favourites' were assisted previously, whereas now we get to see many good riders have their day. Just a thought...

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
That is of course possible FM, but on the other hand it's also possible that there is not now a really outstanding individual who can stamp his authority on the race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monty Dog

I find it remarkable that some riders who have previously set 'tempo' in the mountains are nowhere this year and I'm pleased to see a return mano-a-mano racing. I think that we are seeing a levelling of abilities in a lot of cases, which is why riders haven't been able to assert their dominance on the field. Just goes to show how we've been hood-winked since 1992 into believing that explosive attacks in the mountains were just the result of good training!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Monty Dog said:
I'm pleased to see a return mano-a-mano racing.

Me too! Whatever is the underlying cause, it is making for a far more exciting and unpredictable spectacle and the return of the 'grimpeur' as genuine contender as a result perhaps. As a grimpeur myself and someone who got into the whole Tour thing because of Herrera and the Columbians in the 1980s, this is all great news...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Whilst I appreciate Keith's eternally optimistic and sunny view of things, I think some of this years 'differences' in the style of racing might indeed indicate a new approach to many rider's preparation for the Tour. I hope so. Its certainly more interesting than it has been for a while.

Top Bottom