Stair lifts. Good/bad experiences you know of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You may also be entitled to Attendance Allowance, Age UK can advise and help with the paperwork (they did my parents)
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

Buck

Guru
Its now impossible for MrsD to climb the stairs ( not much better for me tbh) so I have suggested a stairlift.
Problem is, the only 2 people we know who have/had them have had really bad experiences with breakdowns etc........imagine (as with her cousin) living on your own when the thing breaks down halfway up. No family to help, dreadful.

My dad has a Stannah 600 stairlift installed Approx 2 years ago. It came with a warranty and we also bought a service pack/24 hour call out from the installers.

It has been faultless and whilst he was able to use it, it made a real difference. Sadly, he has deteriorated relatively quickly and is now end stage dementia and virtually bed-ridden so we have changed downstairs to have a hospital bed etc. and he no longer goes upstairs.

To ease the financial burden you can buy refurbished ones and i would go with a reputable local supplier/installer that will provide warranty and service/call out.

When we were looking to move my wife said she has always liked bungalows and the other reason was that as a sister in the NHS she had seen people coming into the hospital with quite serious injuries from falling/tripping down the stairs.
I know people can't afford or don't want to move from a house but it's a possible solution.

vickster

Legendary Member
When we were looking to move my wife said she has always liked bungalows and the other reason was that as a sister in the NHS she had seen people coming into the hospital with quite serious injuries from falling/tripping down the stairs.
I know people can't afford or don't want to move from a house but it's a possible solution.

Indeed...actually my parents are in the process of trying to move from a bungalow to a flat (ground floor) in a brand new retirement block with on site staff during 'office' hours, security cams, call bells etc and importantly just other people around all the time (although some will be as elderly and doddery!)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Indeed...actually my parents are in the process of trying to move from a bungalow to a flat (ground floor) in a brand new retirement block with on site staff during 'office' hours, security cams, call bells etc and importantly just other people around all the time (although some will be as elderly and doddery!)

That is the kind of place the auntie is in and she has had 20+ years there.

tom73

Guru
FRAILTY CLINIC.
Thats what the Doc is sorting out for us. Apparently its a full day where they assess what is causing the problem and what can be done to help us eg exercises, care packages etc.
Sounds like a good plan with multi team input all in one place.That should speed things up a bit and end up with help that's a bit joined up.
Lucky your area still has placers like this.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Both my grans had them, both second hand and fitted by my dad. No problems with either of them but one was a pain to fit due to 16th century staircase being massive and non-standard sizes. They have both outlasted my grandmothers which is all I can say really

vickster

Legendary Member
My parents have had some adaptations in their place in the past, generally pretty quickly following hospitalisation after falls

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We had a stairlift fitted to help Swmbo mobility as getting up the stairs at the end of the day was very hard for her more often.

It doesn't get used every day but it's there for when needed

DRM

Guru
Also if you get one, don't get conned into having to pay for a LOLER (Lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations) examination, as part of a service contract, it won't need one as it's not in use for a business, but I believe a service job sheet should have a check sheet that says something like " This equipment has been inspected to LOLER but is not a record of thorough examination" to give you, the end user peace of mind it's not a death trap.

Top Bottom