Stair lifts. Good/bad experiences you know of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Its now impossible for MrsD to climb the stairs ( not much better for me tbh) so I have suggested a stairlift.
Problem is, the only 2 people we know who have/had them have had really bad experiences with breakdowns etc........imagine (as with her cousin) living on your own when the thing breaks down halfway up. No family to help, dreadful.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Age concern should be able to point you in the right direction for reputable people. I liaise them a lot in Kent and find them fantastic.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll most likely need a service contract. Do look into if you can get some funding towards on via Social Care. MIL had one, and it was OK. Usually issues with the battery (although mains part of it was battery controlled). The other issue was fitting. MIL was a large lady and needed a bit more depth to where the rails went. Had to be replaced as her knees touched the wall.

In use it was fairly reliable, but she didn't use it much as her mobility got worse (couldn't walk to it), thats when we started getting issues with it.

Be aware they are expensive, and service not cheap

Sharky

Guru
living on your own when the thing breaks down halfway up. No family to help, dreadful.
My Uncle, lived by himself into his 90's. He had some device that detected should he have a fall etc and couldn't move. He also had a "key safe" installed on the outside near his front door. The emergency support people were able to gain access when needed. He also cultivated a good relationship with his neighbours who were very helpful as he got older.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Uncle, lived by himself into his 90's. He had some device that detected should he have a fall etc and couldn't move. He also had a "key safe" installed on the outside near his front door. The emergency support people were able to gain access when needed. He also cultivated a good relationship with his neighbours who were very helpful as he got older.

Same with MIL, although she had a 'button' she wore - if she fell she'd press it and the service (Red Care) would call her, if no answer, care staff would go round.

Dave do you have any social care coming in to help ? There are quite a lot of services you should be entitled to. Certainly assisting with getting up and going to bed - FIL managed to put in assistance to help with getting MIL up and down stairs, as well as help with meals (although he could cook, the care was for MIL as her mobility wasn't great.)

tom73

Guru
@fossyant right you should be able to get some help with things. Even with all the cut's in services help is still around be it not as easy to find or access. Try your council website see what support they offer or what contracts they have in place. Age Uk will help you work out what you maybe able access and how to do it. Most local branches have a website and some type of office you can call.

Sharky

Guru
Another route to explore. When my daughter came home after 4 weeks in intensive care, she had huge motobility problems. The home support team were able to provide a bed for downstairs and various walking aids, bed/chair raisers. All at no cost.

D

Deleted member 1258

@fossyant right you should be able to get some help with things. Even with all the cut's in services help is still around be it not as easy to find or access. Try your council website see what support they offer or what contracts they have in place. Age Uk will help you work out what you maybe able access and how to do it. Most local branches have a website and some type of office you can call.

Here in Coventry its Adult Social Care which is run by the council, They organise my Good Ladies care.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Same with MIL, although she had a 'button' she wore - if she fell she'd press it and the service (Red Care) would call her, if no answer, care staff would go round.

Dave do you have any social care coming in to help ? There are quite a lot of services you should be entitled to. Certainly assisting with getting up and going to bed - FIL managed to put in assistance to help with getting MIL up and down stairs, as well as help with meals (although he could cook, the care was for MIL as her mobility wasn't great.)

No social care.
We have a home visit from the Doc at 1230 today and that is on the agenda.

tom73

Guru
As already been said get your GP involved and talked about what your options are. They will be able to get the ball rolling on getting you the right assessments. Once they are done you will have a more clear understanding of what your options and what help you can receive.
Maybe an idea to write down what you want to ask and what help you'd like with day to day things. They may not know every thing but will know who can. Don't be afraid to ask questions and above all ask for help.

Top Bottom