Stamp Collection - the best way to sell one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Well last time i was in the field on the moors i sneaked my phone to bid on an allez on ebay so im sure ill be about haha!! I won it btw :gun:

Might be worth telling the dealer you want to know the value to add them to your house insurance ect to get a more accurate estimate, not saying they are all bad mind most are nice im sure!

I hope the dealer charges him for that service, as I am sure the OP would tell the truth.

jack smith

Veteran
Never had a dealer charge for a valuation mind that is going abit far i think

screenman

Legendary Member
Never had a dealer charge for a valuation mind that is going abit far i think

You are kidding me, time is money. A stamp collection takes time to value and that time needs paying for.

You wait and see if you ever want to buy a house, then see how much.

stephec

Legendary Member
You are kidding me, time is money. A stamp collection takes time to value and that time needs paying for.

When I worked in a photographic shop about 25 years ago we used to charge £10 for an insurance quote that took between 10 - 15 minutes to fill out.

That's a fair enough price I thought, and we used to knock that off the price should they buy something at a later date.

screenman

Legendary Member
Back when petrol was 38p per litre. So I would imagine for a one off item like a camera £30 now, to do the same job.

stephec

Legendary Member
Back on topic, do Stanley Gibbons catalogues still exist?

About ten years ago I dug out my collection of British stamps and went down my local reference library to have a look through the catalogues, is that an option?

jack smith

Veteran

I thought money wasnt your only concern? haha anyway ill leave the thread i think im winding people up :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
I thought money wasnt your only concern? haha anyway ill leave the thread i think im winding people up :laugh:

I do not like to use people, which is what you suggested earlier. If I want a service I expect to pay for it, just the way I am made. Whilst others may want something for nothing.

Not winding me up.

screenman

Legendary Member
Their time is an investment on their part, in the hope of making a purchase at a reasonable price. It's not as if they have asked me to pay them and I have refused. You really do seem to have hang-ups to do with money and what you think a person is worth in money terms.

Go back to where no said tell the guy you only want them valued to add to the house insurance.
Intending to sell completely different matter.

screenman

Legendary Member
Back on topic, do Stanley Gibbons catalogues still exist?

About ten years ago I dug out my collection of British stamps and went down my local reference library to have a look through the catalogues, is that an option?

Certainly is, along with taking them to a collector's club meet.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'll be honest when taking them for a valuation.

The problem I've got is this;

SWMBO has about 2000 stamps, mostly Africa and sorted nicely into books by country, plus South Africa by year. She has 1900 to 1988-ish, when she stopped collecting but kept them stored.

In contrast I've 5000+ stamps in a carrier bag. Some are in little envelopes by country but most are simply in the bag. About another 1000 are in a folder by country. Also there's a pile of first day covers, etc. in another carrier bag. I've 1860 to 1983-ish when I stopped collecting but simply kept them stored.

I'm currently sat, having emptied said 5000+ stamp carrier bag, surrounded by loads of stamps and s.l.o.w.l.y working through them. For me to get an appropriate valuation they need to be vaguely organised, not just a carrier bag full.

I'll see people next weekend ... :wacko:

Top Bottom