Standing bike with no fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Are there any wise tips out there for leaving a bike standing without a fork on? I need to service the seals in my MTB fork - never done it before but now I have time and evening light to have a go. However I only have one work stand - I'd like to use it to hold the fork whist I work on it, meaning the bike will have to sit around waiting for the fork to be done. Is there a clever tip to do this? I wondered about, for example, using a garden broom or rake up the steerer tube with a suitable stop half-way up. I don't have a workshop or large amount of space in the garage or shed to work, so the bike will have to sit and wait, out of the way but taking up as little space as possible. If the weather holds I can use the patio as a work station for doing the fork (if not, the living room is looking tempting).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Can you not simply rest it on the ground or even hang it up?

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Hang it up: not easily; the garage has no rafters, just a featureless, plastered ceiling. I guess I could rig up some kind of hanging frame.
Rest it on the ground: I was worried about stability and damage to the chainring and/or steerer tube. I suppose I might be able to rest it on a pedal if the crank was at the vertical, but again, stability.

I may be over-thinking this (it's a curse).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
There should be an obvious elegant solution to this (I too considered brooms up the head tube) but if there is I can't think of it :tongue:

Maybe cut a piece of clean wood down at one end to fit in where the fork came out,
leave it long enough to reach to floor with the bike levelle.

Top Bottom