Starkenburg TURBO SUPERdeLUXE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

Quite a mouthful, that model name.

I found it on the same spot where I found the ALPINA, and I have a feeling the coordinator of the volunteering project will have even less problems parting with it, than with the ALPINA. Here comes the bride:

KWZBxIwaWQ83axQHYv8=w2021-h1271-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

A lugged steel frame, 3-speed internal hub gears, the frame and forks are thoroughly rusted, as are the rims and at least some of the spokes. Everything rotates freely, the shifter works and the original seat is in a very good condition, so there are some upsides. The frame will need to be repainted (should I accept the mission) and the wheels rebuilt with new spokes.

The stickers give off a strange vibe, extremely over the top model name and a sticker instead of a proper head badge (more on this below):
jxjqntMf5cFMtH7CkSdA=w715-h1271-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

S4W-ZaEK7dmIeNu2UFMc=w715-h1271-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Could it be the stickers are non-original?

The gears chain is on the left side, which seems unusual to me:
rpj-BuN0QcmMKymfelSWY=w501-h317-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Now to the historic research. Starkenburg is a region in the State of Hesse in Germany, centered around Darmstadt, that reknown capital of German engineering (my wife's great grandfather studied in a Technical University there). According to this long text in German, characteristically entitled "Short-Story: Starkenburg – das Älteste???" the Starkenburg bicycles were perhaps produced by the Bauer-Werk factory, located in Klein Auheim, which is outside, but close to the area of Starkenburg. There's even less information on the Internet about this brand than about the Alpina. This bicycle appears to be from around the same time period as "mine", but it has a head badge instead of a sticker, and a completely different style of stickers on the top and down tubes, which makes me uncertain about the pedigree of this bike. Could it be a fraud?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Actually, here's another Starkerburg bike, this one has a proper head badge, but with the same lion rampant holding a key as mine, and with the same Super de Luxe designation, so maybe it is a true Starkerburg, just from a different vintage.

P.S. and another, with quite a story in the description. I do wonder what does the shield of David is doing on that head tube badge. What is the Jewish connection here exactly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

The head badge on that other Starkerburg is beautiful. And the head tube sticker on "my" bike - well, is not. I'm thinking of trying to design then 3d-print a proper head badge. Anyone in the audience ever done that?

In general, 3d-printing sounds like a useful skill in this trade, printing replacements for all kinds of plastics that got lost/broke, like crankarm caps, the cable housing clamps, the little thingies on the rear racks etc.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I thought: surely I don't need to redraw that beautiful badge myself? Surely ai can do it for me? After many many attempts with ChatGPT, most ridiculous, here's the closest I got to the original:

1704997757738.png

I gave up on trying to fix the spelling, but other than that - not bad, I'd say.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

That volunteering project is wrapping up, so I've been asked to collect whatever it is I fancy out of the remaining fleet. I think I'll pick this one later this week (and maybe the MBK I've been warned against). I asked Alon whether he wants it, and he respectfully rejected - he's got plenty of this kind, he says. I don't know what do I need it for then, but I guess it will be a case of tinker with it now - decide what to do with it later. I can practice my painting skills, for one. So there will be updates here.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I went by the project's headquarters today for probably the last time, and picked up the Starkenburg (and the MBK I mentioned elsewhere, while at it, as I'll advised as it may have been). This little bike is home now, and is safe. It will be well taken care of, cleaned of dirt and rust, and if found salvageable, will be remade anew. If not, it will be thrown into garbage, of course, but c'est la vie. This time I'm not going to order parts until after I'm convinced the bike can be restored (I learn!)

Attachments

• PXL_20240221_171130223.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240221_171130223.NIGHT.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I started taking it apart today. It's actually going ok - I was able to remove the bolt of the seat post clamp, and the seat post can be rotated - that's good news. I took off the mudguard, both calipers, the dynamo and a few other things. But as I worked doubt kept creeping in - the amount of rust is incredible, and it's everywhere. It never seemed a minor project, but as I was trying to loosen the shifter's clamp, I started thinking maybe I bit more than I can chew - and for a rather modest payoff. We'll see how it goes. Maybe if I don't have any other project to work on, my motivation level will increase. And also once the bike is in pieces and I can attack them one by one, it will no longer be this demoralizing heap of rust.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

This bike now fits in a box:

fTLDSlHrtnIXeRWp2E9x=w1306-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Everything came apart relatively easily - certainly easier than I expected. The drive side part of the BB is still there, and a cotter pin on one of the crank arms refuses to come off, but other than that it's all apart - only one bolt needed to be cut. Maybe it's doable after all. Next step is cleaning everything up, and this can be done one part at a time, which makes the task much easier.

I know what color I want the frame to be: a very dark green, if I can get my hands on a can of such a paint. Also, I think I'm ready to invest money in this project - i.e., measure the spoke lengths and order new ones (as well as buy the paint, of course).

Last edited:
Top Bottom