starlight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Just got back from a thoroughly invigorating 15'ish miles night ride round the lanes of Norfolk. me, starlight and Cateyes. It was *lovely* A pair of Cateye 530s light up the entire width of the road and a goodly distance in front. I shall be doing it again!

ash68

yeh, it's very theraputic, in the pitch black, just you,your bike and the beam from your lights.I'm usually home from my commute by 6.30 -7.00 so won't get the full effect until the clocks change.Has a strange calming effect on me, totally at peace with the world,enjoying being alive,fit and well:smile:

yenrod

I personally turn my lights off, in the countryfied lanes round here, unless a car comes along..

As the beam from my light distracts me !

longers

Legendary Member
I've been enjoying moonlit rides recently. :biggrin:
They've made me think about an overnight ride. I've heard about the mass participation overnight rides but is it sensible to attempt one on my own?

ash68

longers said:
I've been enjoying moonlit rides recently. :biggrin:
They've made me think about an overnight ride. I've heard about the mass participation overnight rides but is it sensible to attempt one on my own?

Think it depends where abouts you live and what the roads are like in your area Longers.I'd feel pretty safe up here in rural northumberland as there's plenty of quiet,local roads to ride around,I could avoid any major towns when the pubs are kicking out,and there's very little traffic on the roads at night.As long as I had good lights and reflective gear on I wouldn't be worried.Unfortunatly not everyone has this on there doorstep. Dual carriage ways,busy roads with large fast lorries and idiot car drivers are becoming the norm.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd be riding to Formby from the East of Manchester and all the conurbations between. Bad roads probably.:biggrin:
But I still fancy it.

Noodley

The sky tonight was very clear and there was very little wind. Fantastic cycling conditions. :ohmy: Although it got a bit chilly after 10 - just as well I was well wrapped up and didn't have far to go to get home.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
longers said:
I've been enjoying moonlit rides recently. :rolleyes:
Moonlight rides are very nice, but starlight rides with no lights are pushing it a bit:smile:

There's no real reason not to do a solo overnight ride if you want. I was asked to organise one for our club once, and did, but in the event I was the only one who turned up. It was really enjoyable, especially following the Ridgeway from near Wantage down to Ogbourne St George (starting about half an hour before sunrise).

longers

Legendary Member
Just had a great ride beneath the stars tonight. :evil: Large moon and it was slightly misty, so riding along the valley was very atmospheric with it reflecting in the reservoirs. I felt like I was riding to Mordor.

I was even able to this . . . .
yenrod said:
I personally turn my lights off, in the countryfied lanes round here, unless a car comes along..

for the majority of the climb up to Holme Moss. It was beautiful. I put the lights on for the ride back down (34mph has never felt so fast!).

Thanks for the advice on an "overnight on me tod" ride. I will look into it. It's probably better done sooner rather than later though eh?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
longers said:
It's probably better done sooner rather than later though eh?

I'd call it a bit on the late side already.
The later you leave it, the longer the nights are, so you need more in the way of batteries. Also, you have to ride for longer if you want it to be all night as in sunset to sunrise.
It's starting to get cold enough that there could be ice on the roads in the early morning.

On the other hand, it's a full moon on Friday, so next weekend would good if the weather is OK

wherryman

Dark norfolk lanes....

Have to admit to a moonlit 15 miles the other week along the edge of the Broads, superb ride, feels as if you are going twice as fast and the shadows make the potted roads look like crevasses, If nothing else you burn off more calories from the anxiety.

Top Bottom