Starlings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

I usually cycle to work but I live close enough to walk in when the mood takes me. When walking home I take a slightly different route than I do when biking and have noticed a swarm of starlings (a murmuration?) at dusk. It's quite a noisy built up area (near the A38 in north Bristol) with a few bits of open ground but they must have found somewhere safe to roost.

I've not really seen such a large number of starlings since I was a kid and they were more common. I sometimes take a moment to stop and watch them, don't know what the passing motorists think of a solitary bloke standing and staring at the sky - they probably haven't seen the birds swooping overhead!

If it's your neck of the woods, they gather at the rear of the Patchway Rolls-Royce factory.

asterix

Comrade Member
Quite a while ago I had a wild starling in my garden that did telephone ring tone imitations. It was good enough to make me dash indoors until I spotted the culprit.:angry:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I usually cycle to work but I live close enough to walk in when the mood takes me. When walking home I take a slightly different route than I do when biking and have noticed a swarm of starlings (a murmuration?) at dusk. It's quite a noisy built up area (near the A38 in north Bristol) with a few bits of open ground but they must have found somewhere safe to roost.

I've not really seen such a large number of starlings since I was a kid and they were more common. I sometimes take a moment to stop and watch them, don't know what the passing motorists think of a solitary bloke standing and staring at the sky - they probably haven't seen the birds swooping overhead!

If it's your neck of the woods, they gather at the rear of the Patchway Rolls-Royce factory.

Oh I must watch out for that though rarely in that area at that time... as for passing motorists ... I'd just assume you were looking at an unusual plane in that area and start looking myself to see what was coming into land.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
100,000 come to roast each night near here at Leighton Moss.
One of the wonders of the natural world.
I never get tired of watching them.

However they all have to eat somewhere during the day and most of them seem to choose our bird table.
Or so it would appear at times.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We saw them three years ago above a reedbed behind a beach in Cornwall. At the end of the flocking, they just landed and disappeared. Before, the flocks meshed into each other in the sky in a jaw-dropping display, but the best bit was the sound of thousands of wings urgently powering their tiny bodies. Absolutely magical.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It is! .....until they start doing the toilet that is.

Yes, her's what they leave behind in Rome...

rome-starlings-460_1122509c.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They're a common sight over our decrepit pier at migration times - impressive sight

p.s. I didn't take this piccie it's in the yearly calendar

84a256a70aighton.jpg.jpg

Top Bottom