Stars... gold/silver/bronze it is!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Monthly Challenges' started by Spinney, 6 Jan 2016.

?
  1. Option 1: gold, silver, bronze

83.3%
  2. Option 2: gold, silver, half-silver

16.7%
  1. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

The Imperial century folk have been using gold stars for some time to mark their yearly achievements. :cheers:

Us lesser mortals in the half century challenge wanted a mark of recognition too, and some of us have been using a 'half-star' (as in my sig line).

But the metric century folk deserve something too.

So I have found/made some stars, trying to get the gold one similar to the one already in use.

Option 1: gold, silver, bronze
    for imperial century, metric century, half-century (which includes both metric and imperial)
    gold star small.jpg silver star small.jpg bronze star small.jpg

Option 2: gold, silver, half-silver
    gold star small.jpg silver star small.jpg silver star half small.jpg

My own preference is (marginally) for the half-silver one, as it reflects the half-century part of the challenge.

I'm making it a sticky and will leave it for a couple of weeks. Then folks can just copy whichever star they need from the above to add to their sig lines.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2016
    Fubar likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Spinney

At the moment the images are a little larger than the current stars in use - but I can easily make them smaller.

3. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Veteran

I think gold-silver-bronze. It's easier to distinguish :smile:

Fubar likes this.
  4. Testy testy. Did my change work?
    Looks very nice.

5. OP
    OP
    Spinney

Vote, please? It will be easier in the end to look at the poll rather than going through the thread working out who wants what!

MikeW-71 likes this.
  6. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

As an outsider to this - I am still confused. Are these stars just for the metric challenges and if so how are they distinguishable from the imperial ones? Surely 4 different colours are needed 100m, 100km, 50m and 50km?

7. OP
    OP
    Spinney

The half-century challenge allows 50 km or 50 miles to count per month, but with 1 point for 50 km, 2 points for 50 miles etc - take a look here:
    https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...0-mile-a-month-challenge.193107/#post-4085218

I've edited my original post to try to make this clearer

Milkfloat likes this.
  8. I've voted but I don't really mind as my silver star for last year is the same either way.
    I voted gold silver bronze but really, I like the half star too.
    In fact, having looked at some half stars in the thread, and considered the "half century" aspect, I've changed my vote. I'm that fickle.

Spinney likes this.
  9. StuartG

StuartG slower but further

Frankly, if I ever complete it I'll be a star. Why worry about pixelating it? Abstaining.

10. I kind of felt that way ... until a shiny star was offered to me. And all of my high minded amateur principles suddenly went out of the window.

Anyway. I've just made my own small silver star by taking one of the Imperial riders' gold star and monochroming it. Is that OK?

Last edited: 6 Jan 2016
    ChrisEyles and Fubar like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Spinney

This isn't supposed to be something imposed! But some folks wanted stars, and the Imperial Century folks didn't want anyone else using gold stars unless they'd earned it (quite rightly so IMO). So this thread is just a way of trying to decide on a consistent set of stars to use - after all, there's not that much point in awarding yourself stars if no-one knows what they mean!
    And @Dogtrousers - your silver star looks fine to me!

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. StuartG

StuartG slower but further

Yes, I guess its easier to say you don't need 'em if you haven't got any. Roll forward a year in the vain hope I get the choice ...

13. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

Gold, silver & bronze are my preference.

My red and blue stars are still available if anyone wants something a bit different to the norm.;)

14. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

Voted option one . That seems the logical solution
    At a quick glance there is little difference between the two silvers

15. Katherine

Katherine Guru Moderator

Although I like the idea of a half star the silver ones are too similar, so the bronze is clearer and more obvious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice