Start training for major event next year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
If you can’t find time for more frequency and volume, you’re going to struggle to increase your cycling fitness. The drinking won’t help as that’s blunt any improvements.

In the month prior to the ride I was riding 4-5 morning before work and 5+ hrs on Sunday. That's 10 hrs a week. This is why I want to change my approach. I don't think riding around Box Hill and Richmond Park can prepare you for a 3000m elevation, 120k day.

You've made your point about my alcohol intake already. In the month before the ride I didn't drink beer. I did have a beer or glass of wine with the majority of the others guys on the ride the night before each day. I think I may forego that this time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Did you wear a heart rate monitor, how did you pace the day, and how far were the days?

I did but because it was hotter there than in the UK it didn't align with what i was used to. I think I was riding at 130bpm for normal rides but was averaging closer to 150bpm (even on the flatter sections). It was 35C. On the steep sections I was at 160-170 but assume that's gradient. Maybe being fitter could keep that down a little.

TBH, I'm not really that scientific. I don't have a power meter. All the stats of Strava bore me. Maybe I have to?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In the month prior to the ride I was riding 4-5 morning before work and 5+ hrs on Sunday. That's 10 hrs a week. This is why I want to change my approach. I don't think riding around Box Hill and Richmond Park can prepare you for a 3000m elevation, 120k day.

You've made your point about my alcohol intake already. In the month before the ride I didn't drink beer. I did have a beer or glass of wine with the majority of the others guys on the ride the night before each day. I think I may forego that this time.

I’m afraid that decent fitness improvement’s (unless straight off sofa) other than basic blood volume take longer to achieve than a month. You’ll need to increase the volume / frequency much earlier

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I did but because it was hotter there than in the UK it didn't align with what i was used to. I think I was riding at 130bpm for normal rides but was averaging closer to 150bpm (even on the flatter sections). It was 35C. On the steep sections I was at 160-170 but assume that's gradient. Maybe being fitter could keep that down a little.

TBH, I'm not really that scientific. I don't have a power meter. All the stats of Strava bore me. Maybe I have to?

Not at all.

I don't have a power meter or HR

But you'll be struggling to do 100 mile hilly days without a good deal of preparation/ physical conditioning.

Rather like those who get a marathon place and then start on training whilst club runners will have the muscle physiology be able to do it on limited extra training.

CXRAndy

Guru
No that will be a combination of lack of fitness and your gearing on your bike.

First time I went to Tenerife I nearly died,metaphorically, due to exertion from not having low enough gearing.

The next time I altered my gearing. Now I can spin up mountains and if I want do it in Z2 heart rate for me is upto 145bpm.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't think riding around Box Hill and Richmond Park can prepare you for a 3000m elevation, 120k day.

With right combination of frequency, volume and intensity distribution you can certainly get fit for such things by riding where you are. But 100km and 3 rides a week then a last minute increase a month before isn’t enough.

From your descriptions your typical week is about 4.5 hours a riding spread over 3 rides before your final month burst. That’s not really enough to develop the fitness for what you want to achieve. Your fitness hasn’t likely changed in years. You need more volume and ride at least 4 times a week to improve your fitness. I’d be looking a a minimum of 6 hours and preferably 8 hours over 4 rides a week as a starting point for you getting fitter. To start build your Z2 volume, then when you’ve got that nailed and consistent sprinkle in some intensity.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Seems like people are kind of shaming me, here. I agree that I probably didn't do enough to prepare for the event this summer and have said I will commit to do more for the event next year. I'm asking for your help, not pick holes in why I struggled.

To prove a point, I got up and did a 100km (solo) ride this morning/early afternoon. Rode at a steady pace, average 23.5 km/h and felt fine. More cold than tired. Neck is a bit sore.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seems like people are kind of shaming me, here. I agree that I probably didn't do enough to prepare for the event this summer and have said I will commit to do more for the event next year. I'm asking for your help, not pick holes in why I struggled.

To prove a point, I got up and did a 100km (solo) ride this morning/early afternoon. Rode at a steady pace, average 23.5 km/h and felt fine. More cold than tired. Neck is a bit sore.
I think I was riding at 130bpm for normal rides but was averaging closer to 150bpm (even on the flatter sections). It was 35C. On the steep sections I was at 160-170 but assume that's gradient.
Any kind of ride would be hard in temperatures of 35C, let alone a tough mountain route!

I think the heat probably did you as much or even more damage than the mountains did! You are going to struggle in the UK to prepare for temperatures as high as that. All you can do really is to make sure that you drink plenty on such rides and pace yourself earlier in the day. No point in burning yourself out on the first couple of mountains but then struggling later. If you had any oomph left later, you could always attack the final climb!

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Any kind of ride would be hard in temperatures of 35C, let alone a tough mountain route!

I think the heat probably did you as much or even more damage than the mountains did! You are going to struggle in the UK to prepare for temperatures as high as that. All you can do really is to make sure that you drink plenty on such rides and pace yourself earlier in the day. No point in burning yourself out on the first couple of mountains but then struggling later. If you had any oomph left later, you could always attack the final climb!

This is my thoughts as well. I've ridden 200k audax in the past and have climbed other mountains too, in lower temperatures, without issue.

Good article I just found here. Some of the things suggested I did, removed cycle cap for better airflow, pouring water over me at times, drinking 750ml bottle every hour. Adding ice to bottles along the wat etc. I will def. cut out the alcohol the night before though.
https://trainright.com/trainright-guide-training-performance-in-hot-weather/

I can only hope its not that hot again. It was 41C at the bottom of the Tourmelat. Just seemed to affect me more than some of the others. One chap got heat stroke though.

But I will work on stamina and conditioning too.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Good for you pies👍. Doing more of these rides regularly will build your endurance. Once you feel they are comfortable increase the distance or duration by 20-30mins. Your body will become stronger just by riding more.

Sort your diet and you find the mountains aren't so daunting

Ride up more hills was what i was told, it does work.

Longer and repeated days in the saddle takes it’s toll and you’ll just get tired even without putting in too much effort.

If i want to be ready for the Alps in Spring i know i need to be climbing min 3000 - 4000m a week and some of those are efforts with repeated hill reps.

Definitely worth having a training plan in something like Training Peaks or even better getting one custom made, usually don’t cost more than £50 or so. But it is indoor stuff and i agree it’s chuffing boring ! For Winter and to relieve the boredom I’ve started riding some MTB in the last 2yrs, great for climbing fitness and breaking up the indoor monotony.

In the end it comes down to power to weight so if you want to know your progress then work our your watts per KG now and set a realistic target, just remembering we have Christmas in a few weeks…. But just aim for a gradual improvement

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
This is my thoughts as well. I've ridden 200k audax in the past and have climbed other mountains too, in lower temperatures, without issue.

Good article I just found here. Some of the things suggested I did, removed cycle cap for better airflow, pouring water over me at times, drinking 750ml bottle every hour. Adding ice to bottles along the wat etc. I will def. cut out the alcohol the night before though.
https://trainright.com/trainright-guide-training-performance-in-hot-weather/

I can only hope its not that hot again. It was 41C at the bottom of the Tourmelat. Just seemed to affect me more than some of the others. One chap got heat stroke though.

But I will work on stamina and conditioning too.

Fancy training plans aside, there are basically two things to do.

1. Lose as much weight as possible. Nothing, but nothing makes more difference.

2. Ride up as many hills as possible, as fast as you can.

The weight makes an incredible difference. Every kilo counts.

Jameshow

Veteran
Fancy training plans aside, there are basically two things to do.

1. Lose as much weight as possible. Nothing, but nothing makes more difference.

2. Ride up as many hills as possible, as fast as you can.

The weight makes an incredible difference. Every kilo counts.

Do 2 and 1will look after itself!

Don't do 1 and 2 won't happen!!

Top Bottom