Started commuting since September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
The wrong way round.
Haha. I had to think about that myself for a minute.

jay clock

Massive member
Good lights, mudguards and decent winter clothing should see you through all but the worst weather. In eight years commuting I only missed a few days when either the wind was gale force or there was snow or solid ice on the ground. This was done on a standard road bike Roads near schools will be gritted in cold weather, so no real reason not to commute all year round.
Good lights, mudguards and decent winter clothing should see you through all but the worst weather. In eight years commuting I only missed a few days when either the wind was gale force or there was snow or solid ice on the ground. This was done on a standard road bike with normal tyres. Roads near schools will be gritted in cold weather, so no real reason not to commute all year round.
I live in a big town and there's definitely no gritting favouring roads near schools. My children's primary is up a steep hill on a housing estate and certainly not salted

Reactions: mjr

Slick

Guru
The morning bit is right as when it says 9am it will be 10am so "lighter"
The evening I had to think about as you are leaving later so working an extra hour into the dark. I think...

When it says 9am it will actually be 8 am old summer time, therefore darker. Lol

Slick

Guru
Haha, now I'm really confused. Lol

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Get a trike with good lights. Problem solved.
A slope with ice and snow and a trike could cause more problems than a bike. you can hide a bike and walk get a bus, hitch a lift, then go back for the bike later. its even difficult calling someone to collect you, as you need a big car to get a trike in. what would you do with a trike?

Trikes are not even that smart on loose gravel if there is a steep slope.

My commute is 12 miles each way and I am riding it every day at 5.30am. I don't mind the cold, wind or rain once I start riding. But once the ice and snow starts I will use the car. For me, it is just too dangerous to ride. It can get to minus 20 here and the snow gets so deep that there is no guarantee I can get to or from work on the roads I take.

If the OP cannot get public transport, it sounds like a second car could be the only option.

Tin Pot

Guru
My wife and I work as teachers at the same school however, due to the nature of my job I have to regularly work longer hours. It' only a 10 mile round trip so I took the plunge, got rid of the second car and bought myself a Specialized Sirrus Hybrid. Now commuting most days but I'm becoming wary of the darker mornings/nights after half-term and cycling through the winter. Determined to stick to the plan though and thus make the need for a second car redundant.

How precarious do conditions need to be before you draw the line? What about when it's frosty/icy etc?

There is no line, not in suburban London anyway. The traffic heats the roads, there can be patches of ice but you just cycle with vigilance as always.

edrobbin

Regular
I wouldn't worry about the winter, you will soon come to love the quiet peace of the dark mornings and the weather conditions just become part of the challenge. My commute is 12 reasonably flat miles each way and I managed to commute regularly all last winter. I've left the house before and immediately regretted it, as the wind and rain battered my face, but by the second mile determination kicks in and I soon realise I'm having the time of my life.

There is a down side though. I sometimes get the feeling that the poor standard of driving becomes even worse as more drivers sleep drive to work.
summed it up in a nutshell. Couldn't have said it better

Wolf616

Über Member
This is only my second year of commuter cycling and I'm going to see how long I can go with bare arms, legs and fingers. So far so good - who wants to place bets on how long I last/how many fingers I lose?

Top Bottom