Starting my commute tomorrow . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Donovan

Hi All. I got my new Triban 3 a week or so ago and in the meantime I've clocked up about 50 miles - starting to get used to it. It's been a long time since I cycled properly, so I'm pretty new to things. One of the main reason for getting the bike is for my commute. It's 6.5 miles in each direction. I've tested the route and it took my about 30 mins in one direction and then about 45 mins coming back (hilly route on the way back).

My question to you guys is help regarding breakfast timing. I usually eat a bowl of porridge of a morning, but how long should I be leaving it to set off on my bike after I've eaten my porridge ? Is 30 mins too soon ? or should I be aiming for nearer an hour before I ride ?

Cheers
Steve

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Not sure what advice I can give as I eat when I get to work.

BSRU

A Human Being
Just eat and go, or if you can eat when you get to work.
For commuting I always eat breakfast, get changed then go no problems.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
For that distance I wouldn't worry about eating before your ride if you are in a position to eat in work?
If you have to eat at home I wouldn't worry about leaving any gap- same as if you stopped for a mid ride lunch, it's only big/ heavy meals you need to worry about.
Good luck!

Longshot

So far, I've done three 25 mile commutes into work over the last couple of weeks. Each morning, I've got up, had a coffee and a banana and I've been fine.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Whatever you do don't eat it during the ride. It's a b*tch to get ground in porridge out of bar tape.
Either pre-ride is fine or after is equally acceptable. If you're just starting off, I'd be inclined to take it easy to begin with anyway, so not much scope for belly slosh.

I an only go by me, but I've always had a bowl of cereal and headed straight out the door a minute later I prefer the extra kip :thumbsup:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Even when I go on club rides (like tonight) where we do about 35-40 miles, I normally have my tea about 15 mins before I set off (group start at 6.30pm). It doesnt cause me any problems and I never get indigestion.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I shower and eat when I get to work, as I prefer to stay in my nice warm bed for as long as possible.
I do 21 miles in the morning and have had no problems with having breakfast after that distance (although I do make sure to fill and take my water bottle with me).

Lyrical

fen x
I eat 200mg of caffeine in the morning.

As for when you should eat, you should be able to gauge that pretty soon. Not gonna lie, heavy braking isn't good for the stomach.

Top Bottom