State Pension Changes NI Contributions

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

It's easy, just check your National Insurance contributions here:

Yes, it was mentioned earlier in the thread and there was discussion around it and the info it displayed.

yello

Nothing else to do but wait

That's the bit the causes the semi-paranoia in me. Rules change, and pension rules will change. You'd hope and believe that once set in stone that you're good to go - but I don't want to be featuring on the next Moneybox Special.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@yello - I'm intending stopping working full-time at around 60, by which time I'd have 42 years in, plus any part-time working afterwards which is a probability so should be OK although I can see them moving my state pension age back even further than they have.

If the government makes it means-tested then I will have an issue.

Both SWMBO and myself are on decent, but not massive, public-sector salaries which therefore provide index-linked pensions. However she's not worked full-time until last year so hasn't got a great pension pot. I've got three other smaller pension funds plus my 'alternative' pensions of antique books/paintings/watches so should be OK but means-testing the state pension would hit us quite hard.

yello

I can see them moving my state pension age back even further than they have.

I think that's a given. As to when, to what age and who'll be impacted, well, time alone will tell. People are always 'caught out' on the wrong side of a law change (whatever the law) and some will 'suffer' as a result. One just hopes that such suffering is minimal and, most importantly, flagged well in advance so that any mitigating plans/actions can be put in place.

As to means testing on state pension, well my take is that whilst it could happen I don't think it will. Not foreseeably anyway. There'd be a right royal shoot storm if that happened, a real vote killer. Not that I can vote in the UK anymore but us oldies carry some clout at the ballet box.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I reckon means tested State Pensions will happen, but not for a few decades. Since introducing compulsory workplace pensions and once most employees will have paid into that for three or four decades, that's when the Gov will be looking at reducing their (our!) expenditure on State Pensions.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@yello and @ MontyVeda - Both my sons don't expect to receive a state pension. I agree that they'll introduce it, but give time to do so. Probably those in their 30's and possibly 40's will be hit. Hopefully not those in their 50's :okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
@yello and @ MontyVeda - Both my sons don't expect to receive a state pension. I agree that they'll introduce it, but give time to do so. Probably those in their 30's and possibly 40's will be hit. Hopefully not those in their 50's :okay:

Or 60's :okay:

Davos87

Guru
After watching that Martin Lewis programme about buying back years I wrote to the Pension Service to enquire about my particular circumstances. They replied that according to their records, I was eligible to buy back 3 years, stipulated how much it would cost, the uplift to my pension and who to pay which is HMRC. I contacted HMRC, Informed them as to the the info I had received and made the required payment. That was end of May. Has anyone else bought back missing years and how long did it take to see the change in your pension?? I’m assuming when I get it it will be backdated to the time I made the payment? I appreciate these things take time but I’m due my next pension payment on the 10th September and if no change will be firing off a letter. Not sure it was Martin Lewis fault but trying to get through on the phone was nigh on impossible. Waited 55 minutes once and then was cut off.

PK99

Legendary Member
I applied and paid before commencement of pension.
Updating of pension to be paid was almost by return an full correct payment started on correct date.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
After watching that Martin Lewis programme about buying back years I wrote to the Pension Service to enquire about my particular circumstances. They replied that according to their records, I was eligible to buy back 3 years, stipulated how much it would cost, the uplift to my pension and who to pay which is HMRC. I contacted HMRC, Informed them as to the the info I had received and made the required payment. That was end of May. Has anyone else bought back missing years and how long did it take to see the change in your pension?? I’m assuming when I get it it will be backdated to the time I made the payment? I appreciate these things take time but I’m due my next pension payment on the 10th September and if no change will be firing off a letter. Not sure it was Martin Lewis fault but trying to get through on the phone was nigh on impossible. Waited 55 minutes once and then was cut off.

Deadline extended to 2025 now

Top Bottom