Static Caravan Owners - Lockdown issues and Other Topics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
General question to the other static owners on here.

Has anyone had a ground fee rebate. Our site charges over £3,500 for 8 months use, and given we were shut for almost 4 months, they have just offered us £324 'on account' plus option to extend the season by a month for 2 years, or 2 months this year. If we were to take this option, that's usually around £375 to extend until Christmas.

So, wouldn't be too bad a deal if you did go for an extended season usually - my sister does and is happy. We've never done the extension as it's bloody freezing (we have central heating) and the weather isn't generally that good during November and December (sister just sits in her van - she doesn't go anywhere in North Wales - bonkers).

For us the extension is not great. The site have been a bit 'abrupt' about it, but I'm going to suggest that those who don't want an extension get some sort of refund. The site have already said 'we don't legally have to refund you'. The big site next door has refunded a proportion of the rent (equating to over £300 per month closed- so nearer £1k) and their running costs are much higher.

My SIL has been offered nothing from her small site on the other side of the village, and my other SIL's parents have also been offered nothing.

It doesn't do customer relations much good, when the site did no grounds maintenance to the vast majority of the vans - only the ones near the entrance had grass cut - we came back to grass 18" high, and triffid sized weeds growing in-between the paving. It's a bit of a joke when the site posts pictures of the 'owner' cutting grass', when they didn't do it. I suppose he needs to keep his £100k Range Rover and Boxter going.

Be interested to hear what others have/have not been offered.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry a related off-topic question, I'll start another thread if you think it will derail this one, you state £3.5K for 8 months, what do you get for your money, what other expenses are associated with owning a static other than that actual purchase. I know on the East coast it was effectively a cartel, once your van got to a certain age you had to renew it or it would be moved further down the site, you couldn't sell it without the landowners permission or at least they had a veto over who could buy it, you also had to offer the landowner first refusal. I ask as I keep thinking about the idea, I used to like a touring van, but I really don't like driving now.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
General question to the other static owners on here.

Has anyone had a ground fee rebate. Our site charges over £3,500 for 8 months use, and given we were shut for almost 4 months, they have just offered us £324 'on account' plus option to extend the season by a month for 2 years, or 2 months this year. If we were to take this option, that's usually around £375 to extend until Christmas.

So, wouldn't be too bad a deal if you did go for an extended season usually - my sister does and is happy. We've never done the extension as it's bloody freezing (we have central heating) and the weather isn't generally that good during November and December (sister just sits in her van - she doesn't go anywhere in North Wales - bonkers).

For us the extension is not great. The site have been a bit 'abrupt' about it, but I'm going to suggest that those who don't want an extension get some sort of refund. The site have already said 'we don't legally have to refund you'. The big site next door has refunded a proportion of the rent (equating to over £300 per month closed- so nearer £1k) and their running costs are much higher.

My SIL has been offered nothing from her small site on the other side of the village, and my other SIL's parents have also been offered nothing.

It doesn't do customer relations much good, when the site did no grounds maintenance to the vast majority of the vans - only the ones near the entrance had grass cut - we came back to grass 18" high, and triffid sized weeds growing in-between the paving. It's a bit of a joke when the site posts pictures of the 'owner' cutting grass', when they didn't do it. I suppose he needs to keep his £100k Range Rover and Boxter going.

Be interested to hear what others have/have not been offered.
Sounds like a right rip off.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Sorry a related off-topic question, I'll start another thread if you think it will derail this one, you state £3.5K for 8 months, what do you get for your money, what other expenses are associated with owning a static other than that actual purchase. I know on the East coast it was effectively a cartel, once your van got to a certain age you had to renew it or it would be moved further down the site, you couldn't sell it without the landowners permission or at least they had a veto over who could buy it, you also had to offer the landowner first refusal. I ask as I keep thinking about the idea, I used to like a touring van, but I really don't like driving now.

No problem. You get to put your van on a base in a field basically. There are no other bills other than insurance, gas and electric. Water and 'council tax is part of the site fee. Within the fee they should also repair and drain issues and issues with your base - these have been an area of 'contention' as we've always had to complain when something goes wrong - they don't fix it very quickly.

For that 'fee' they supply electricity and all important water and waste water. Electric is about £150 a year, gas is usually two large bottles a year - so £120 (the very tall ones). Then add van insurance which is £400 new for old.

Selling etc, yes, site has first refusal, although they will offer you peanuts. Our's isn't so strict on age so long as the van is looked after - all they need is a jet wash /scrub with a brush twice a year to keep them looking good. Our van is now 20 years old. They don't cut the grass or anything like that, so you've got another garden to keep up with. Some sites are quite ruthless though - the big site in Talacre charges big bucks and the site owners very strict - the place is full of chavs though - we only ride there for the bakery or DIY shop.

Despite it being expensive - OK it's a two week family holiday cost, we do go most weekends and do stay for over a week at a time a few times in the year. It's 75 minutes from home, and is a great base for getting out into North Wales - Anglesey is 90 minutes to the Northern end, Llandegla 60 mins, Snowdonia 60 minutes.

We do get to relax and unwind and it's great for cycling. If looking for a van I would recommend one that's double glazed and has central heating - makes the cold weather much more pleasant.

It's been one of those years though - we opened up and it was two weekends of fixing stuff (wife broke the TV, fence fell down over winter (our concrete base is crumbling - site don't want to know), electrics blew up, van cleaned top to bottom inside and out after winter, then we had to shut down. When we got back, van needed cleaning again, garden was a jungle, toilet sprung a leak (main waste pipe), loo flush then broke, TV aerial broke, boiler fan started screaming etc. So it's been a bit manic. Fortunately I had no jobs this last 'long weekend' and we're down there again for 9 days shortly.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Mrs P would like a static caravan Have just shown her the potential yearly site costs.Responded with a very unladylike stuff that

Costs us just over £4k with insurance. Some sites are £6k plus. Plus new vans aren't cheap. £40k ? £25k for a good used one. Our van was the in-laws - in fact we used to go down to look after them when they were there, but steadily they got less and less able to go, so they 'told us' to take it over.

It's a big commitment, but, as I said, it's the same as a family two week holiday in cost. We get to use it most weekends.

Salar

A fish out of water
Can't remember the exact figures, I need to dig out the letter, but we got "free" rates this year, something off the annual ground rent and a six month licence extension.

Salar

A fish out of water
We've had three statics.

Our site fees are approx £3200 for 10 months.

For that the site has a small quiet club, fishing lake (important for me), golf course, bowling green, and lots of wooded areas to walk the dog.

A full maintenance team with all the gear looks after the grounds, cut our grass, re gravel drives etc at no cost. If anything needs repairing, the work is done quickly and at a good price in that it's not worth me bothering sometimes.

As me and my better half both run small businesses it's the only way we can escape for a few days at a time. We aren't interested in foreign holidays any more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

We have a pub, club (aka Phoenix Nights style), shop, chippy, kids arcade and a pool/sauna/gym. No lake or woods. Residents get 10% off at the pub/club. The location is great though - nice village (Prestatyn - don't mention Rhyl 5 miles away), plenty of places to eat out, and a good location as a base for North Wales.

Salar

A fish out of water
North Wales coastal sites do tend to be slightly more expensive, probably due to catchment area of the North West?

Our current van is just over the border in England. We've not been to the van since the start of lockdown, had a lot going on, keeping business's afloat and moving home.

I left my Raleigh Pioneer outside when we left the last time, thinking we'll be back in a few days, that was over four months ago.
Think a service and rust removal is on the cards.

gavgav

Guru
We’ve had a reduction on the rates bill and some rent back in the form of a credit on the account, which can be used against purchasing Gas, etc, this season and then against next years rates/rent, if any left by then.

Again, we’ve had the “we’re not legally obliged to” message and that it’s being done out of goodwill.

Edit: forgot to say they’ve also added an extra year onto the age limit for vans, so it’s 26 years now

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Our site fees/ground rent is £1525 a year, ours is a small site, only 22 static caravans and is open for 9 months in The Yorkshire Dales (Middleham). I’m not expecting any rebate, the site owner hasn’t saved any money by closing. The site has been maintained well throughout lockdown and our caravan has remained on the ground we rent, it would be unfair for the owner to lose money.

footloose crow

Über Member
We have a static caravan in France on a secluded rural site between the Dordogne and the Lot. Each plot is cut into a steep wooded slope so you have the feeling of being the only van around, surrounded by mediterranean oaks, although you can see above the tops of the trees down the slope and across to the opposite hills. The site has a pool and a clubhouse and rarely has more than ten vans occupied at any time mainly by older couples. There is no entertainment here for children! Too quiet and rural. Great base for reasonably hilly cycling and for taking the camper van on short trips to other parts of southern France. Can be too hot and too crowded in August though.

Fees are 3500 Euro + gas + water + insurance

The site owners (English) cut the grass, keep the trees under control, maintain the access roads, keep the pool clean and look after the van all year for security and weather damage etc. The owners are fastidious about the site and also about how clean the van and the immediate plot are. They can be a pain but it is generally a stress free way to have a base in France that you can walk away from at any time.

The van cost us 7000 Euro and was 15 years old when we got it. If we wanted to sell, we can but the site owners will not show people around and will want 4000 Euro as an entry fee. Or we can just hand the van over to the site owners for perhaps 1000 Euro. That is what everyone does.

There has been no offer of a discount for this year. The owners have actually tried to discourage people from coming as they are petrified (ironically) of getting Covid from the UK.

We normally spend about 10-12 weeks a year there so that averages at about 300 Euro a week. Equivalent van rent in this area would be 600-800 Euro in high season and we would be cheek by jowl on a commercial site. Cost wise it is fair value. This year it is not, as we have only managed three weeks this year and not looking as if we can go again as the FO advice negates our insurance.

We have been here for three years and made good friends and explored France. It is great having bikes, all your holiday clothes, kayaks and your own stuff here waiting for you. No need to transport anything. Fly in and car hire or we can drive our camper van down slowly.

Another year or so and we may look to go somewhere else. We have kayaked all the local rivers and done most of the walks and rides within day journey of the van. There are vans for sale there.....http://theoldvines.co.uk.

Top Bottom