Statins again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

Über Member
My cardiologist has told me that I should start taking 10mg of statins daily after my Ldl cholesterol rose from 1.49 to 1.53. I told him I would rather try diet and exercise before medication. But he was insistent. I am sure that my cholesterol has risen because I was unable to cycle for 2 months because of the lock down here in France. I am very reluctant to start this course of treatment. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
10 mg is quite a low dose - I was on 80, since halved.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It seems like most of the men where I live were prescribed statins and they all refused to take them ever again after the first month or 2 as the side effects were awful. I to would personally go down the exercise and diet road first. If that still doesn't work, then statins are a fall back position.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I took 80mg for seven years with absolutely no adverse side effects. The medics then knocked it back to 40mg. I don't know why. I would do what your doctor suggests and wait to see if it doesn't suit you. Plenty of people would disagree.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I started statins, my GP said it would increase my life time by 25%. That was possibly at least 15 years ago with no side effects and my cholesterol level is under control.
By the way, I am on 20mg so quite a low dose really.

Dave7

Legendary Member
It seems like most of the men where I live were prescribed statins and they all refused to take them ever again after the first month or 2 as the side effects were awful. I to would personally go down the exercise and diet road first. If that still doesn't work, then statins are a fall back position.
I didn't realise they could prescribe statins to sheep ^_^
But, seriously, I am with you on that.
Going back 15+ years the Doc tested me and I was 8.9. She said a) I was a heart attack waiting to happen and that I must go on them. b) she said it was often nothing to do with diet but is inherited.
I declined, altered my diet somewhat and started to take herbal stuff.
6 month later it had dropped to 6.0.
15 years later and I'm still here and, at 73, feeling good.

Drago

Legendary Member
Have taken statins for the last ten years no side effects at all.
I've been eating chips for 52 years with onside effects at all :laugh:

A serious question for those in Englandland - if you have statins, do you have to pay for the prescription?

D

Deleted member 1258

A serious question for those in Englandland - if you have statins, do you have to pay for the prescription?

No, I'm a pensioner so don't have to pay, I've been on statins for years.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's annoying. Smoke fags until you develop lung cancer, or eat mars bars until you develop lifestyle induced Type 2 diabetes and you get your prescriptions for free.

D

Deleted member 1258

It was something of a pisser, I have to say - fit, active, doing all the right stuff, so I thought!

And me, but I have a family history littered with heart attacks and strokes so shouldn't have been surprised.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Yep. I pay a tenner a month as on 2 prescriptions. 20 mg statin here. No side effects other than cholesterol now in range. Family history, so diet didn't affect it

Top Bottom