Statins again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm on 4 different meds one to control epilepsy and three following a heart attack five, I think, years ago. I also survived a severe brain haemorrhage in January 2019 - the "let's wait and see if he wakes up" type. I'm very fit and have now twice been told it's my fitness levels which helped me survive. I'm a month off 66.

I'm on Atorvastatin 80mg/day and my cholesterol is around 3.2/3.5. @nagden you should consider for +/- 20% of population cholesterol levels cannot be controlled by diet alone. I'm one of the 20%.

I've discussed all my meds with my GP and expressed my desire to come off them. She has advised she will help with this but I should consider my meds are long established, safe drugs and to date have caused me no harm.

I'm a firm believer in being a good patient and try to follow all the advice. Nothing wrong with questioning it but consider the answer and alternatives carefully.

I don't pay prescription charges and haven't for five years.

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

Über Member
Thanks for all your replies. I have decided to go down the diet and exercise route. I am sure that the two month lay off from cycling due to the lock down caused the increase in my cholesterol, as well weight and blood pressure.

jamin100

Guru
37 here and have been on 80mg or statins (plus other drugs) since I needed a stent in my LAD 3 years ago.

BEFORE I started the statins my total cholesterol was 3.6 with the NHS guidelines to say keep it under 4.

after being on 80mg and tested regularly my total cholesterol is always under 2.

no side effects that I can tell though. Although i do go light headed if I stand up too quick but suspect that’s from the beta blocker I’m taking as well

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is alot of bad 'science' floating about. If a drug works for you, then it's better than the long term consequences, If it doesn't then change it. If you can change something by diet/exercise then great, if it's genetics, then you are a bit stuck.

I only went for a checkup a year ago as a good mate had just dropped dead. Heart attack whilst cycling, in hospital, couple of stents, back out, dead the next weekend - literally dropped dead at home.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Presumably you already have some cardiac issues given you have a cardiologist looking after you, and an ldl level of 1.53 would be considered very good in most people.
But surely a rise from 1.49 to 1.53 is of little statistical significance and could easily be within daily fluctuations?

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

Über Member
Presumably you already have some cardiac issues given you have a cardiologist looking after you, and an ldl level of 1.53 would be considered very good in most people.
But surely a rise from 1.49 to 1.53 is of little statistical significance and could easily be within daily fluctuations?
I had a pulmonary embolism 5 years ago and been on a blood thinner called pradaxa since. I am sure it has affected my system. Since then I have had issues with low blood sugar and potassium and BP. I have been taking a potassium supplement for a week and my BP has dropped significantly. Thanks for your reply.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I had a pulmonary embolism 5 years ago and been on a blood thinner called pradaxa since. I am sure it has affected my system. Since then I have had issues with low blood sugar and potassium and BP. I have been taking a potassium supplement for a week and my BP has dropped significantly. Thanks for your reply.
Om nom nom eh :laugh:

Actually, having a very non-sweet tooth, I don't mind it as much as others do.

Top Bottom