Staying in Le Bourg d' Oisans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
We stayed at a campsite about 4 miles down the road towards Grenoble. They have tents and small mobile homes for hire or you can use your own tent. It's at the junction that's the turn off for Allemond and the Croix de Fer. It was called Belladone camping but is also known as RCN Camping. There's also a hotel at the same junction.

We did the Galibier, Alpe DHuez, Deux Alpes, Col dOrnon and the Croix de Fer during our one week stay.

My avatar photo was taken near the top of the Galibier. Alpe dHuez is the hardest thing I've done on a bike, even though it's only 9 miles from start to finish.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The hotel at the junction is the Hotel Belledonne
The campsite is 100m up the Allemond road.

I stayed in Camping Colporteur, actually in Bourg, quite a while back, just passing through. It was OK without being in any way rememberable. Other reasonable looking campsites are La Cascade, on the right about 50m before the Alpe d'Huez start line, and Le Grand Calme, shortly before the Allemond dam.

From Allemond, there's the alternative start to the Alpe d'Huez climb, via Villard-Reculas, which joins the standard route at Huez village. It's worth doing.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
The hotel at the junction is the Hotel Belledonne
The campsite is 100m up the Allemond road.

I stayed in Camping Colporteur, actually in Bourg, quite a while back, just passing through. It was OK without being in any way rememberable. Other reasonable looking campsites are La Cascade, on the right about 50m before the Alpe d'Huez start line, and Le Grand Calme, shortly before the Allemond dam.

From Allemond, there's the alternative start to the Alpe d'Huez climb, via Villard-Reculas, which joins the standard route at Huez village. It's worth doing.
Thanks for the info apologies for the late reply !

Fifelad - did you do this in the end - where did you stay - at my age, I prefer something a bit more "home comforts" than tents - done way too many of those in my time lol

Brains

Legendary Member

I have stopped a couple of times at the municipal campsite at the base of the dam in Allemond. Cheap and clean facilities. Excellent pizza restaurant a couple of hundred yards away as well.

Top Bottom