Stays flexing??!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Ok this might be a really dumb question but I was tinkering with my mtb the other day and had the back wheel off, and I noted that if I put one hand on each seat stay around the dropout, and pushed inward, the whole seat/chain stay triangle flexed horizontally.

Is this, er, normal? Can't see any fractures on the frame or out,but a bit worried!

Thanks

Stu

festival

Über Member
Yes.
What material is the frame made of.

if you take the wheel out and push the stays inwards, of course they will flex. Normally, the presence of a wheel (and specifically the hub which sits in the dropouts) prevents this from happening.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

if you take the wheel out and push the stays inwards, of course they will flex. Normally, the presence of a wheel (and specifically the hub which sits in the dropouts) prevents this from happening.

Well, I did wonder but had never noticed before. So how come say, a 6061 handlebar doesn't flex in a similar fashion?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I took it the OP meant inward , as in towards the seat tube, as opposed to pinching the dropouts together...in which case you are spot on.

D

Deleted member 20519

When I had my steel frame, the wheel wouldn't fit so I had to stretch the dropouts and pop the wheel in. Nothing to be worried about.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Thanks mate but I've got disk brakes!
Doh! :smile: It was more the point that the stays can be quite flexy, mine flex a small amount but visably when i squeeze the brakes hard, they definitely move at the dropout without the wheel in. If i stand over the bike and push hard down on one pedal you can see the whole frame bend a little, scared me at first and made sure my friends bike did the same, its probably less noticable if youre lighter :smile:

D

Deleted member 20519

I am amazed at how much carbon seat stays can flex.

Carbon shouldn't flex. I think that your bike is very dangerous and if you send it to me, I'll dispose of it properly :whistle:

Top Bottom