Steak Pie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
Is it usual for the person with the slowest time in a Time Trial to be awarded a Steak Pie prize, or is this some local peculiarity?
If anyone has come across it, is the implication that the rider has consumed too many pies, or something else? I'm not sure that I'm amused...

oldroadman

Veteran
Certainly peculiar, and probably local. The question really is, why? Maybe someone is a supplier and gives a few away?

Let me know where it is and I'll be sure to enter next year!
I have my first TTs of the year this week coming so I'm hoping they are as generous with their lantern rouge awards.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
That's the one, @JoeyB. Sadly, I don't have a real steak pie to show for my efforts. The person who persuaded me & my boyfriend to enter in the first place was going to try and find out why steak pie but she's not got back to us yet - I was holding off replying until she did... anyway.
@Marmion (& others) are lanterne rouge awards common in TTs then? That was my first official one (I have done some informal 10s that the triathlon club run, so I'm not completely unused to the idea).

Last edited:

Ern1e

Über Member
Ok so I take it you came last and got a steak pie ? how bl**dy good is that ! Now that would be me being last every time lol, but hang on what doe's the winner get ? because if it where a steak and kidney pudding well now that just might change things a tad.

Probably just a booby prize/joke! Like giving a bag of Haribo to whoever comes last in a pub quiz.

Yes, I reckon it's something that has crept in as a recognition of the last rider.
In post-war Giri d'Italia the "black jersey" (for lantern rouge) was keenly contested, to the extent it was eventually removed; the "winners" of the black jersey became famous and earned good money, much more than the "also rans".

So celebrate your steak pie.

Top Bottom