1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steaming ........

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Saddle bum, 8 Feb 2008.

1. Saddle bum

Saddle bum Über Member

Anybody any experience of using a mini steam cleaner on chains?

Gunk the gloop off with a soluble degreaser and then steam clean.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. :wacko:

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I'd be wary of doing it on-bike, your paint might not like it.

TBH, I think all this TLC people heap on chains is a waste of time. A paintbrush and solvent to clean followed by some oil is the best method. It does the job and won't wash the manufacturers grease from the pins. I went through all those fancy cleaning methods on motorcycle chains and came to the conclusion that although they shone like a new pin they ended up knackered much more quickly.

3. jashburnham

jashburnham New Member

Just give it a good clean with a rag (and some degreaser if you must) lube, wipe down thoroughly, relube, gentle wipe, done.

4. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

deedy, OCD some on here

it's a chain, it's supposed to be oily, and it's a replaceable part

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

I wouldn't of thought a steam cleaner would be much help. The lube shouldn't absorb the water or react to the heat.

If you want a snazzy cleaner for your chain you can buy a sonic cleaner for jewellery (used to be very cheap at Aldi). Personnely I would stick to using a rag, or a dedicated chain cleaner if it's very mucky.

6. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

7. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

nice link hub and I think that shows what the mighty Sheldon thought

bless him

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Bang on Tynan.
    Great guy, great site, great sense of humour. The world is a lessor place now.
    May Sheldon always have a tailwind.