Steel-entry level to alu-mid level performance increase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have been thinking about changing from my steel roadie to a decent alu or carbon bike (carbon if I can find one cheap enough).
I am currently using my steel as a commuter and have kitted it out accordingly. I still do the usual training on it just without the panniers on. It weighs about 8kg without the panniers and I would say about 10kg with them (heavy things!). The bike weighs about 7kg without the winter kit.

The problem that I have got is that I enjoy going on local club rides and used to do the time trials. I would love to get back into the time trials but dropped out because I wasnt doing too well (due to bike and fitness level). I would love to get better and faster at cycling so to have a change in a time trial of doing well but the bike is holding me back.
I am of a decent fitness level and have plenty of strength and stamina to do well, I just need a lighter bike.

The bike I would be looking at getting would be either an alu or carbon. It would obviously have shifters on the bars (downtube on the steel) and possibly carbon forks.

I havent had a massive search online but I have come up with a vague idea of how much it would cost to get an ideal bike (£300-£500). Some of the bike I have on my list which I like the look of are:
  • Dawes Giro 300/400
  • Raleigh Airlite 100
  • Claud Butler San Remo
  • Viking Elite
Opinions on these bikes and suggestions for more are welcome. I am looking to induldge into a new bike next spring, as to enjoy the summer on it.

HovR

Über Member
I'd suggest your weight measurements are out. If your bike does infact weight 7 kilos unloaded, then I highly doubt you'll get any lighter in that price range.

Also, have you considered the Triban 3? Great value for money there.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am fairly sure my carbon bike weighs more than 7kg, can't see a steel bike being that?

+1 on the Triban 3 at 10kg

Or something second hand especially if looking at £500

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'd suggest your weight measurements are out. If your bike does infact weight 7 kilos unloaded, then I highly doubt you'll get any lighter in that price range.
My weights are always skewed up. I just mean that the bike is very heavy compared to some others.
EDIT: Spec says that it is 17kg compared to 10kg for the Triban.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't knock out a decent steel bike from your list. Does it still need to be rack/mudguard compatible ? Your steel bike will be gas pipe, not a high quality steel from the likes of Reynolds and Columbus, so don't knock steel bikes out of the consideration.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Don't knock out a decent steel bike from your list. Does it still need to be rack/mudguard compatible ? Your steel bike will be gas pipe, not a high quality steel from the likes of Reynolds and Columbus, so don't knock steel bikes out of the consideration.
I would still prefer an alu bike. If anything, I would have the mindset that I would be on a much better quality bike.

The bike I am looking for it purely for racing and club rides. No rack needed (might get some cruds for winter though).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you want to race, then the CAAD8 or the Allez that you include on your second list are going to be the best bet. Forget bikes like the Synapse completely, it is too upright! I would also be looking for something with Tiagra or the new 2013 Sora groupset. Reason being if racing you will spend time on the drops and you will need to shift, the old Sora thumb shifter can be hard to reach if not impossible from the drops.

The Triban is a good bike too, it could be used as a low cost racer, but IMO, it would warrant some immediate upgrades. Wheel's and tyres would want changing for sure and the shifters are a bit awkward.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've a Raleigh Airlite 100 - and wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't have been a prize. It's probably better than the rest on your list though!

Overall it rides OK, but the Shimano 2300 system is naturally not as good as the 105 I have on my Secteur. The only thing I've changed so far is the saddle, which is unpleasant.

It's an upright ride though; I'm swapping the stem to see if it improves.

The Bike Radar review liked it: http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-raleigh-airlite-100-11-41657

Top Bottom