Steel framed bikes look boring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

i like that bianchi...simple and effective.
The idea of spraying a frame my own coloe never occurred to me...but I like it...so where can I get a good steel frame which has not been sprayed yet?

mondobongo

Über Member
Roberts makes some nice bikes. The choice of colour would be all yours.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
dan_bo said:
Or fossy's Herety.

Cheers Mate... :wacko:

Linky for BTFB http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3836

Steel can be any colour you like - just lots do come in boring colours..:biggrin:

Mine is Pearl (Metallic) White base colour, then the lug areas were painted over Kingfisher Flamboyant Blue, then air brushed down the middle of the tubes so the sides are blue, fading to white on the top/bottom (main reason is that Frank only did White lettering then). Did design it myself.

If you ever go custom build, you can have what ever colour you want. :rofl:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bigtallfatbloke said:
i like that bianchi...simple and effective.
The idea of spraying a frame my own coloe never occurred to me...but I like it...so where can I get a good steel frame which has not been sprayed yet?

It has the old style decals on it too - lovely looking bike, especially with the optional chromed forks.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK, I'm sitting here looking at a purple Ti frame, a nekkid carbon road bike, a midnight blue alu flat-bar bike that Arch uses when she's down this way, and a burnt orange-y steel MTB.
They all look good to me.:biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Metallic Flam Red on 631 Steel - sparkly, tinselly and lovely :biggrin:

PoppyFlam.jpg

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..see now you've all got me wanting a steel frame so I can spray it and design my own frame logos..like this:

Then build up the frame with Sram top stuff group set etc.. white saddle and bar tape....hmm.....maybe next year eh?

wafflycat

Baggy said:
Metallic Flam Red on 631 Steel - sparkly, tinselly and lovely ;)

PoppyFlam.jpg

Gino, my Bianchi audax/lightweight tourer is at Mercian having a facelift. When he comes back he's going to be resplendent in Kingfisher Flamboyant with silver decals. He'll be *gorgeous* :biggrin:

kyuss

Veteran
Fab Foodie said:
The Thorn Audax MK3 has a simple paint job to keep the price down. Same with some of their other lower priced bikes. The Cyclosportive and 853 Audax have more lively paintjobs (I quite like the 853's blue/red but it's not everybodies taste).
There are many steelies out there with good paint jobs.

There's simple and there's simple though. Nothing wrong with a plain, cheap, one colour paint job as long as it's the right colour. The problem with Thorn, inluding the Cyclosportive and Audax (colour fade paint jobs didn't even look that good in the 80's), and a few other British framebuilders is they seem stuck in the past producing bikes that look like they are painted in whatever colour they've had lying about in the shed since the 50's. I wouldn't spend the better part of £2000 on a brand new bike that looks like it's 30 years old. It would be like buying a Saville Row suit with flared trousers.

dan_bo said:

I've been in love with Vanilla for a while now. If I ever win the lottery I'm having a road and a track bike from them. Not sure I could deal with the 5+ year waiting list though. That would be torture.

Top Bottom