Steel or cro-mo for single speed bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

per4

Regular
as the title suggests, im looking to buy a single speed bike. i have been looking to get one for a while now, and am a bit annoyed that my original choice of the 2014 charge plug 1 is no longer in stock at evans.

so my current two choices are the 2015 charge plug 1 at £400 or the jamis beatnik at £260. both from evanscycles:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/plug-1-2015-singlespeed-bike-ec073771

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/beatnik-2015-single-speed-bike-ec072113

I know there is a somewhat significant price differential between the two bikes, but ill try to explain why that is. initially, i was very interested in getting a charge plug because of their good reviews in the budget single speed bike market. and so despite the fact that the sales for their last seasons models are now over, i am still quite interested. i realise that the 2014 charge plug 2 is available at evans for £350, but i dont really like drop bars.

and so because the charge plug is now more expensive than before, i found the jamis beatnik as a possible alternative. i particularly like it over other single speeds from evanscycle in this price range because it has wide mountain bike style handlebars and brakes, which i find most comfortable.

the biggest difference seems to be that it is made out of steel whilst the charge plug is cro-mo. how much of a difference will this make in reality? in terms of weight/comfort, speed, vibrations etc

i plan to use the bike for short 4 mile commutes, and maybe a ride around richmond park every so often.

Cyclist33

i think the beatnik would be cro moly too. i am that close to buying one myself, at 260 quid you cant go wrong really.

OP
OP
P

per4

Regular
i think the beatnik would be cro moly too. i am that close to buying one myself, at 260 quid you cant go wrong really.

its definitely hi-ten steel unfortunately.

i think i should be more specific: i meant to ask if there was any significant difference between cro-mo and hi-tensile steel?

RebornBumbler

its definitely hi-ten steel unfortunately.

i think i should be more specific: i meant to ask if there was any significant difference between cro-mo and hi-tensile steel?

Probably the "Hi Tensile Steel" frame will be heavier, and use cheaper tubing.

However, neither "Cro-Mo" nor "Hi Tensile Steel" are particularly useful terms. You can guarantee both will contain Iron and Carbon. The "Cro-Mo" will contain Chromium and Molybdenum, possibly also some Vanadium, but the "Hi Tensile Steel" might also contain one or more of those elements too.

The tube wall thickness (and whether or not it's butted) is at least as important as the alloy makeup in terms of weight, cost and desirability when it comes to cycle frames.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The tube wall thickness (and whether or not it's butted) is at least as important as the alloy makeup in terms of weight, cost and desirability when it comes to cycle frames.
And good luck finding many reviews which bother to examine such things any more :sad:

sidevalve

Über Member
If all you want it for is a 4 mile commute and a tootal around the park I wouldn't bother much what it's made of [cro-mo is a steel alloy just like cro-van etc]. Just buy something cheap and cheerful and put the spare cash towards a nice roady or a good 531 or even 853 [then you really will notice the difference between gas pipe and a truly high quality bicycle frame] frame and build your own.

Top Bottom