Steep learning curve. 1972 Raleigh Hercules Balmoral

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
image.jpg

Picked up this today. My summer project. Seems reasonably mechanically sound but there is a lot of rust. Looking forward to getting stuck in and getting it looking lovely. Don't know very much about doing up old bikes so this is a good opportunity to learn. I intend to potter about on it for a bit like Miss Marple and then pass it on to my mum for going backwards and forwards to her allotment.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Should be pretty straightforward, these were simple, reliable and solidly made machines.

shadaboot27

A lot of rust? There really isn't, any rust on this will clean up a treat but compared to other vintage bikes this is in excellent condition!

To do this bike up will be simple, all you need to do is:

Take it all apart.
Clean each part.
Replace any unusable parts like inner tubes, brake cables and so on...
Put it back together and re-grease the bearings.
Job done.

Just use wire wool and WD-40 to remove the rust from the chrome and use some kind of de-greaser to get the grime off the chain and hubs and soo on. I just use brake cleaner for this. Don't re-paint it or anything as the paint on this looks to be in fantastic condition and you want to keep it all original. You could easily get this finished in a day.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @shadaboot27 says there really is very little, just a bit on the rims as far as I can see, should be easy enough to clean off with some wire wool. Check the spoke tension, and the headset bearings by holding the front brake on and rocking back and forth. Also undo the seat bolt clamp and see if the seat post moves freely. Saddle looks good. Do the gears work? If not they maybe just need some adjustment. Good luck. A bike fit for a Queen!

David Higson

I use a wad of aluminium foil dipped in vinegar to remove the surface rust from chrome parts. The friction apparently creates some kind of electrolytic reaction with the acid in the vinegar and the aluminium in the foil which transfers to the chromed part. I've used this technique on chromed steel rims with good results.
Lovely bike, by the way. Your mum will be proud.

Top Bottom