steering "centres"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've just noticed that when the bars are dead centre with the frame (as in going "straight on") there is a feeling exactly like you get on the balance knob on a hi-fi i.e. a feeling of it reaching a central position. it's only noticeable when the front wheel is off the ground.

is it normal/problem?

yenrod

Your h.sets pitted.

To eliminate - buy a new'un ! :angry:

Its the only way.

P.H

Über Member
What sort of headset is it? For some you can get the bearings rather than the whole headset, not only saves money, also saves the hassle of having to re-fit the cups. Of course if it's an integrated one, it's even easier.
I've recently replaced the bearings in an Orbit headset, half the price of the complete unit and a half hour job.

GilesM

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
integrated headset. problematic so i've heard…

Integrated Headsets are fine, as already mentioned, you should be able to get new sealed bearing units, and fitting really is very easy.

GrahamG

Guru
If it's just the tiniest bit then just check that it's not too tight and keep going on it - if it becomes any more noticeable then change bearings. I've had this recently on my 105 1" threaded headset (it was really difficult to get the balance between 'right but keeps loosening' and 'really too tight' and managed to get a little pitting but I'm happy it's not enough to warrant replacing almost brand new bearings.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
GilesM said:
Integrated Headsets are fine, as already mentioned, you should be able to get new sealed bearing units, and fitting really is very easy.

Is it? I thought you needed a special tool to get the race(?) off?

P.H

Über Member
rich p said:
Is it? I thought you needed a special tool to get the race(?) off?

But with indexed steering there's no need to take the race off.
On all threadless headsets* the bearings just drop in, on non integrated ones they fit into cups which can be a bugger to fit and remove. On integrated ones the bearings fit straight into the frame, the cups have been integrated into the frame.

* I don't know anything about threaded headsets.

Top Bottom