Steering clicking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I noticed some clicking when steering.
I took the stem off and cleaned around the steering tube/head set. Turn the wheel with this all undone and no clicking. It seems to be from the shifter/brake cables. Could it be they've been fitted too tightly? Maybe corrosion got inside the outers?
They were replaced only 12 months ago. Can't find anything performance changing but it's just annoying.
Anybody else experienced this?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cables rubbing/catching ? D

o you have an alloy steerer - you need to ensure the split washer and the steerer is clear of any black alloy deposits - use a bit of sand paper on the steerer and the split washer (compression ring). I used to get this every so often on my work bike.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

o you have an alloy steerer - you need to ensure the split washer and the steerer is clear of any black alloy deposits - use a bit of sand paper on the steerer and the split washer (compression ring). I used to get this every so often on my work bike.
It's an alloy steerer. I think hard salt deposits are still somewhere.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

Had another look and it's defenatly the cables. Clicking from inside. Only way to solve would to be start from new I'm thinking.

Top Bottom