Stem bolts : What size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

What size stainless allen headed bolts are usually used as the 4 fitted to road bike stems?. I want to replace mine as they are looking a bit dull and worse for wear but I have no idea what size they are?. Had a dig around online and some say they will likely be M5x16 but I have also read of a few other sizes that are possibles?. I once knew a guy who could simply look at any screw, bolt whatever and tell you exactly what size it was but unless a component has the size marked on it, I'm hopeless at that!!. :blush:

Or is there a way to measure the things and tell?. Cheers.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They are M5x20 (with a 4mm hex head) on this fuji stem ive got lying on my desk.

To measure take one out and hold against a ruler, or if you are fancy (like me :blush: - jokes) then use a set of digital (or manual) calipers or micrometer to tell measure.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have no idea if Im honest, I used the bolts that came with the stem when I changed the stem over from the Fuji one to a better one.

If in doubt go with the stronger option, dont want something to sheer when you got your weight on it and go faceplanting.

e-rider

crappy member
DON'T use alloy bolts - no no no! Not strong enough for stems. All stems come with either stainless steel or titanium bolts (or for example, zinc plated steel on cheapo crap stems).

Top Bottom