Stem - differing costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
So yesterday I broke the stem on my good road bike (8 year old titanium Planet X) and so had to look for a stem. CRC wanted roughly £50 but going up to well over a £100 whereas PX (who provided the bike) wanted £15, the question is would I get £35 extra value by going to CRC?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
More importantly, how on earth did you break a stem?

Do tell, pictures welcomed!

vickster

Legendary Member
So yesterday I broke the stem on my good road bike (8 year old titanium Planet X) and so had to look for a stem. CRC wanted roughly £50 but going up to well over a £100 whereas PX (who provided the bike) wanted £15, the question is would I get £35 extra value by going to CRC?
It'll probably be down to weight and brand - are you looking at alu or carbon?
(or better Ti eg https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s88p3902/ORA-Titanium-Stem)

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
More importantly, how on earth did you break a stem?

Do tell, pictures welcomed!
I was pulling away from some lights (at Keston Mark if you know it) and there was a loud snap and the bars went forward. At first I thought it was one of the bolts but when I tightened them it didn't affect the bars moving around. I rode home 9 miles (very. very carefully) and took the bolts out. I then noticed that the part of the face plate (?) where the bottom two bolts go through had snapped clean off. Bike is in the shed currently will attach pic later

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool, they do charge £4 for postage under £50 (as do PX) so may be worth looking if you need other stuff :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Faceplates usually break because the bolts were overtightened. The torque for these is quite low - usually 5Nm.

si_c

Guru
Just as an aside, Wiggle have their Brand-X stems which are about £8, not sure they go up to 130mm though. I bought one to test a stem length change and it's great, never ended up buying the stem I was originally looking at just kept the Brand X one.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fancy names and, to some degree, weight, I always go for 4 bolt face plates and ensure that the clamp has a chamfered edge so it doesn't place undue stress on the bars. Other than that, i don't think I've ever paid more than 30 snifters for a forged stem.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I was pulling away from some lights (at Keston Mark if you know it) and there was a loud snap and the bars went forward. At first I thought it was one of the bolts but when I tightened them it didn't affect the bars moving around. I rode home 9 miles (very. very carefully) and took the bolts out. I then noticed that the part of the face plate (?) where the bottom two bolts go through had snapped clean off. Bike is in the shed currently will attach pic later

Yikes. Potentially deadly that.

Top Bottom