Stem height concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hello all,
I've been trying to fit my bike after returning to cycling after a 2 year break. A couple of years ago I was suffering from sciatica and was getting lower back pain. I bought a larger stem with shims for a more upright stance and used it for about 6 months before work/kids/change of career intervened. Jump forward to the current situation and I've been going out on the bike again. It's a 20.5” Marin Lucas Valley and I'm 6.1.
I've just been fitting myself again and noticed the stem height. It's huge! I'll attach a picture for reference. I've used the bike

for 2 weeks with no issues, but I'm concerned that the stem is just too high.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You need a bigger bike.

Jody

Stubborn git
I saw someone the other day with a stack height of probably 50% more than what you are running.

If that is the length of the fork steerer and not using an extension then there should be no problems. Doesn't looks aesthetically pleasing, but who cares if it feels OK to ride.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
I saw someone the other day with a stack height of probably 50% more than what you are running.

If that is the length of the fork steerer and not using an extension then there should be no problems. Doesn't looks aesthetically pleasing, but who cares if it feels OK to ride.

It works but I did have safety concerns

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I have seen quite a few bikes with extensions on them over the years, they always seem to stand out from the crowd. Having said that that if it feels comfortable so be it but I would not want to take it out on the road, OK on the turbo.
Another option would be to remove the extender and fit a higher rise stem instead. It would probably put you lower but if you did some core strength exercises it may stop the sciatica coming back. I am not an expert and this is just my opinion based on personal set up.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Just to give you an idea. This was my bike last year as I was having lower back pain. Now, after doing core exercises and Planks in particular I have gone back to 100mm + 7 degrees and feels fine.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I really screwed my back up and ended up with surgery. Cycling gave me relief before the surgery and the lower the better. I still ‘slam’ my stem even now. No idea if this will work for you, but it might be worth considering.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If its working, then leave it. I think my Koga World traveller looks a bit similar.

Attachments

• item_442003_eceba0026d.jpg
    item_442003_eceba0026d.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom