Stem Length help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

Sorry wrong thread, but now i have new handlebars, friends have recommended my getting a shorter stem as mine is quite long. But i'm not sure what size to get. Can anyone help with sizing. For example some say something like this
31.8mm - 35mm - 1.1/8"

Mod Edit : Right thread now ! :okay:

Attachments

• 1610917948614.png
    1610917948614.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Depends why you feel you need to change it I suppose............because you feel too stretched out as it is, or just because your friends think it would look better!

Reactions: C R
Press alt GR and then print screen next time and it will only screenshot the screen you want not both laptop and screen going forward. 😀

To answer your question.
The stem length is given in Mm so 70,80,90mm.
The width of handlebar is given in mm also. Common road sidings are 31.8mm, and 25.4mm.
The bit where it connects to the fork steerer is given in MM or inches. Most common is 1 1/8 although you do get 1 inch. Is it an ahead stem you need or a quill stem and they attach differently.
The length of the bar is given in hundreds of mm so 380,400,600 etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Friends are possibly talking bollix.

Your frame is more of an XC frame, and being a bit older will have a shorter head tube so stem is longer. Newer bikes are significantly longer and 'slacker' angled so tend to go with short stems for that reason - keeping reach within a sweet spot.

I wouldn't bother on your bike, might make it too short.

Reactions: C R

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Bit of a generalisation but - longer stems (100 -120mm) are used on roadbikes because they suit long sweeping turns.

Short stems (say 30mm) are used on mtb's etc so that tight turns can be made easier.

If you are on the road then something in between would be fine.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Stem length involve a few considerations; of these steering geometry (so, how stable or nimble it is) and rider fit (how far the reach is from the saddle to the 'bars) are probably the most important. Looks go to the bottom of the list.

My older hardtail has a longer stem than my newer full-sus but they are designed to do different jobs. Changing the stem length can introduce stability and/or fit issues. That said I significantly shortened the stem on my road bike and despite warnings of dire consequences it goes well and fits me better - although I'd argue it doesn't look as good.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Fashions have changed. A medium-sized 1990s MTB usually had a 130mm stem and a shorter top tube. These days, an MTB might have a 35mm stem, which means the steerer of the fork and the bars almost touch.

Road bikes tend to have stems in proportion to frame size - if you are on the correct size frame - so 100-110mm for a medium frame, 120-140mm for a large frame and 80-90mm for a small frame. There was a trend in the 1970s to stick a 140mm stem on anything for the looks (long stems look cooler), regardless of ergonomics!

What matters is that you are not too stretched out or too squashed.

Top Bottom