Stem length?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

Am I right in thinking that to measure a stem its centre to centre? I ride a 2014 defy3 and feel a little stretched on the hoods, in the drops I feel fine. Whilst in the hoods I cant see the front hub which have been told is right, is it more of a personal thing or is there a "right and wrong"? I think the stem is a 90mm on my Defy 3 size Small, would it harm buying a cheapo ebay 80mm and trying it out? I have just flipped the stem to the original lower position for a planned 30 mile route tomorrow to see what if any difference it makes, it came with the stem flipped to the higher position from new and not had too many problems just thought I would try it.

jarlrmai

Veteran
If you are thinking about 10mm stem lengths, you could always move the saddle closer depending on how much play you have on the saddle, you'll want a torque wrench for reattaching the bar as well.

At this point sounds like you could do with a fit/adjustment.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you are thinking about 10mm stem lengths, you could always move the saddle closer depending on how much play you have on the saddle, you'll want a torque wrench for reattaching the bar as well.

At this point sounds like you could do with a fit/adjustment.

I would have though get the saddle right first then adjust the stem or bars.

To the OP, turn your bars up a bit which will bring the hoods closer to you, they often come from the factory quite low. If you need me to explain more just ask.

RebornBumbler

And don't take too much notice of the front spindle being visually eclipsed by handlebars (or for that matter kneecap-vertically-over-pedal spindle) - some of these ideas might be a useful aid to getting started but are not part of a proper bike fit.

Flipping the stem (allied with screenman's suggestion of rotating the bars) should be an improvement, though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would have though get the saddle right first then adjust the stem or bars.
Indeed , saddle height and setback 1st then reach .
And don't take too much notice of the front spindle being visually eclipsed by handlebars (or for that matter kneecap-vertically-over-pedal spindle) - some of these ideas might be a useful aid to getting started but are not part of a proper bike fit.
+1 i had a really comfy fit and took notice of club mates saying i was to low and to far back and it fecked me up untill i went back to my old fit , to which a worker at the LBS who is a real fast rider told me the above , its a starting point but everything has room for adjustment.
If your going by static fit methods i am 5 mm above holmes method and maybe 1 cm behind kops which works for my legs .

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Food for thought, thanks. I have done about 500 miles on my current set up, I changed my saddle about 300 miles back and it made a difference. Should I flip my stem back up to the higher angle then? and as said turn my bars up slightly? I am happy with the saddle height and messed around with the setback.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
There's a difference between bars being too low (saddle/bar drop) and bars being too long/far away. Flipping a stem fixes the first and a shorter stem fixes the second.

What's the problem again?

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

There are times when I feel a little stretched whilst in the hoods, fine in drops. I have turned the bars up a tad and am happy I did but might get a cheap 80 mm to see if it makes any difference. I have had it at times when I feel at one with my bike so just thought it might be worth a go? nothing ventured etc.