Stem Lengths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XTCRider

How do they measure. I measured from the centre (where cap bolt is) to centre of riser bars and it is 100mm. Does this mean I need a 100 mm stem or do MFRs measure them differently.

There is actually nothing wrong with the stem thats on apart from the 4 bolts that fasten the handlebars are badly corroded now. Cant seem to find anywhere that sells the bolts. Halfords dont, LBS dont, Wiggle and CRC dont. If I cant find the bolts I will have to buy a stem

chris42

From the centre of the single bilt hole to end of the stem before the face plate is put on, or in other words to the centre od where the bars will be.

Noodley

yep, measure them centre to centre. I have never looked for bolts for them so can't help you there. I may be needing some soon (for similar reason) so let me know how you get on :ohmy:

Noodley

come to think about it, I would probably try B&Q or similar. They shouldn't be too difficult to find.

OP
OP
XTCRider

XTCRider

Tried B&Q , could find only bolts with screwdriver type heads or hex heads for spanners, not allen key hex heads unfortunately

yenrod

HALFORDS DO SELL THE BOLTS - I know i got some a couple of weeks back !

They're about 2quid if not try and find indistrial FASTENER stockist.

Usually you can find them in diy shops or types that specialize in ironware/mongerey.

XTCRider said:
How do they measure. I measured from the centre (where cap bolt is) to centre of riser bars and it is 100mm. Does this mean I need a 100 mm stem or do MFRs measure them differently.

There is actually nothing wrong with the stem thats on apart from the 4 bolts that fasten the handlebars are badly corroded now. Cant seem to find anywhere that sells the bolts. Halfords dont, LBS dont, Wiggle and CRC dont. If I cant find the bolts I will have to buy a stem

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Take a bolt with you to your nearest local "real hardware shop", you know the one, where the owner has a brown smock on. he should be able to sort you out with some stainless cap head (allen key) bolts (you ask for cap head screws, not bolts). Alternatively, I know that you can get aluminium cap heads (not sure what torques they can go to, may be purely decorative) from companies that advertise in magazines like Max Power (car). I'm going to guess the thread size you need is 6mm coarse.

OP
OP
XTCRider

XTCRider

The ones in my halfords are 4mm bolts. My Stem uses 5mm bolts and they are 18mm long. It is a Giant Alum Stem.

OP
OP
XTCRider

XTCRider

Found some in a proper Hardware store. They only had black which on my SCR3 look better anyway as the stem cover plate is black. Got 4mm ones for the SCR3 and 5mm for XTC3

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Hope you got a few extra as the "black" is only part of the heat treatment process. Exposed to the atmosphere / damp they will, eventually, rust like buggery. If you've got some grease, take them back out and give them a light rub with it, they'll stay looking good for a lot longer.

Top Bottom