stem post won't tighten securely to fork steerer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the one on the right, in that photo, does not look right. the amount of 'meat' looks less on the right than the left, i.e., the left and right look diffrent thicknesses (on the same stem). the screws are not meant to 'take up the slack' just to put pressure on. if you try to take up the slack then you just end up 'pinching'. picnching is not good as it can / will lead to failure as all the pressure is being put onto a very small area. please for your own safety either take it back or abandon. using electrical tape on such a crucial part of the bike is completely crazy and irresponsible to yourself, your loved ones and other road users.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
This is pure "Zen and the Art Of Motorcyle Maintenance" . Solution: cut up a coke can and use it as a shim.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Watt-O said:
This is pure "Zen and the Art Of Motorcyle Maintenance" . Solution: cut up a coke can and use it as a shim.

but having to bodge quite an expensive piece of kit? personally i would take it back, take the bike as well to show lbs the problem. let them take the risk of bodging a good piece of kit. at least then when i goes wrong in the future, you can get it replaced under warranty

OP
OP
P

petmcgratt

Thanks for the advice guys. I got on to the dealer on the phone and I explained to him that i thought the clearance between the clamp was very small compared to my old ITM stem. He agreed it was and has told me to send it back and he will send me out a carbon equivalent in an ITM stem post. Hopefully this will do the trick!!

When you look at the clearance by counting the number of visible threads my old stem post showed 6 to 7 threads whereas the FSA stem only showed 3 threads. Quite a big difference in length.

thanks

again

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
shauncollier said:
but having to bodge quite an expensive piece of kit? personally i would take it back, take the bike as well to show lbs the problem. let them take the risk of bodging a good piece of kit. at least then when i goes wrong in the future, you can get it replaced under warranty

That was the whole point of the book! I understand your problem not wanting to use a piece of junk to fix a very expensive bit of kit, but a coke shim is perfect for the job! :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Watt-O said:
That was the whole point of the book! I understand your problem not wanting to use a piece of junk to fix a very expensive bit of kit, but a coke shim is perfect for the job! :biggrin:

sorry but i disagree. if i had to bodge a new piece of kit, i would return it and not bother. i agree if you are building something out of the ordinary and don't expect it to fit, then yes i agree coke can is good enough. but a pice of oem for an oem bike, should fit sotb.

and obviously the supplier agrees. glad you sorted it out. quite a scare tho when you read someone is willing to go out on a bike held together with tape, quite unnecassrily

OP
OP
P

petmcgratt

I agree, I am not up for doing a boch job especially on around the glens of antrim where you can get up to about 35/40mph on the downhills. I only tried the electrical tape as I was starting to doubt my measurements as people had suggested I had a 1 inch steerer rather than a 1.1/8 steerer. The tape was removed straight away once I new it was the bigger size. I also agree why spend that sort of money on upgrading parts to have to compromise with tape etc.

thanks
peter

Top Bottom