Stem query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
Hi,

looking to reduce my stem length as I have a very slight over-reach and would like to be upright a little more due to existing lower back issues from previous injury.

Currently riding a standard Boardman CX Comp which has the spec: Boardman Alloy, 31.8mm with +/-7 degree rise (100mm).

Excuse the ignorance but I presume the 100mm is the stem length (looking to go to 90).

What does the 31.8cm pertain to?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
31.8mm is the diameter of the handlebars. If it is a modern bike, then this should be correct. The stem length is indeed 90 or 100mm. However, you may find that the angle (currently +/- 7 degree) is more important if you need to be more upright. If you go for a bigger angle (35 degrees is very possible) then you will be more upright.

As an aside - being more upright is worse for my back issues, I need to be flatter.

Spoons47

BF4DB357-8680-4351-9874-022399614DAB.jpeg
EDA06F5B-66A2-408A-BE30-425A8875E50E.jpeg
I went from this bottom pic

To this pic top pic
Sorted my neck and shoulder out straightaway.

OP
OP
Darren Jeffrey

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies.

Think I will try and flip the stem first.

As mentioned in OP it is really just a very slight over reach or what feels that way so a small adjustment might do the trick.

Thanks again

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks for all the replies.

Think I will try and flip the stem first.

As mentioned in OP it is really just a very slight over reach or what feels that way so a small adjustment might do the trick.

Thanks again
Yes - if you flip the stem you are actually shortening the reach by a small amount. 10 degree stems are also available if you still feel the need for more height.

Top Bottom