Stem reach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooned

Über Member
Hello, I don't know much about replacing components but the reach on my racing bike is slightly too long and it makes me feel a bit stretched. I know on longer rides I will end up with a stiff neck and shoulders. What do I need to look at to replace the stem, ie. sizing and compatability with my handlebars? Do I need to be wary of anything like the handling of the bike with a shorter reach?

Thanks.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I recently changed my stem from 100mm to a 70mm one as i had problems with over reaching causing sore neck, I just went on line, ordered a road bike stem with the size I wanted and took me less than 15 minutes to fit, no problems whatsoever

Crimmey

Most stems these days fit over sized bars (31.8mm) as opposed to the 26mm clamp size and the fork fitting is usually a standard size. They aslo come in a variety of angles of rise/fall from 0 - 45+degrees where 6 degrees I would say is standard.

Handling with a shorter stem will feel 'twitchy' others say responsive but do you really turn the handle bars that much to turn the bike anyway? - I don't. Length can vary from 50mm-170mm so there is a massive choice.

What I did was buy loads of stems from the classifieds on other forums and try them out. I also bought 3 different sized adjustable ones which you can vary the angle of rise/fall with an allen key. System EX ones are relatively cheap.

In the end, I now use a 17cm stem with 35 degree fall on all my bikes :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In the end, I now use a 17cm stem with 35 degree fall on all my bikes :smile:

By eck you must have a long back :smile:

Assuming you have got your saddle position set correctly first then you reach can be set as other have said , i found that if i look at where the stem meets the handlebars it hides the front wheel hub when i am on the hoods.
I used to get similar aches till i realized that my saddle was not far enough back , effectively making my reach to short .

I couldn't honestly notice the difference when I switched from 110mm to 90mm re handling.

Alternatives - move seat forward (if too far back to start with) or possibly move the levers back a tad.

Crimmey

Very good point on getting the saddle fore/aft position right first made there! Getting a bike fit could save you a ton and a couple of years :tongue: although I remain unconvinced that even a great bike fitter would have got my position how I have it now.

OP
OP
M

marooned

Über Member
Thanks for the advice. I have got my saddle pretty far forward. I measured the stem and it's 135mm which sounds pretty long, hence my problem. It is the old style quill stem. Forgive my ignorance but is it possible to change to the small stem that clamps around the fork stearer, as these are the most common stems I have seen for sale on various bike forums. What kind of stearer would I need or is it pretty easy to buy a shorter quill stem? This is my first attempt at bike modding so I don't know much about replacement parts :biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for the advice. I have got my saddle pretty far forward. I measured the stem and it's 135mm which sounds pretty long, hence my problem. It is the old style quill stem. Forgive my ignorance but is it possible to change to the small stem that clamps around the fork stearer, as these are the most common stems I have seen for sale on various bike forums. What kind of stearer would I need or is it pretty easy to buy a shorter quill stem? This is my first attempt at bike modding so I don't know much about replacement parts :biggrin:

You first need to find out what diameter stem and handlebars you have .

http://www.sjscycles...ptor-prod22444/

http://www.sjscycles...t&cat=91&page=1

And my favourite guide to fit ..
http://www.jimlangle...nk/bikefit.html

Top Bottom