Stems, carbon Vs Alu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I have a alu Stem which appears to be very light, and it only cost's around £35. What are the advantages of going for a slightly heavier Carbon Stem?

Peyote

Isn't carbon supposed to be better at absorbing high frequency vibrations? Not really something I've ever noticed when using carbon or alloy components though.

Personally I'd stick with your Al one, unless the carbon one matches your bike, in which case it's a no-brainer!

OP
OP
walker

walker

Peyote said:
Isn't carbon supposed to be better at absorbing high frequency vibrations? Not really something I've ever noticed when using carbon or alloy components though.

Personally I'd stick with your Al one, unless the carbon one matches your bike, in which case it's a no-brainer!

A carbon one would go quite well with the carbon frame, I need to get a new stem for my old bike, but I'm wondering whether to add a carbon one to my Race bike a swap that one over to the old bike.....

Stwutter

I wouldn't concern yourself - the advantages of carbon over Aluminium are only really effective if you change the lot, or most of it. If you change anything, a good quality carbon seat-post will make your ride considerably more comfortable than an Alu. one.

giant man

My alu stem has been excellent with my carbon frame, for one thing it's lighter than a carbon one, stronger of course and secondly well, does it matter?

kyuss

Veteran
I've got an alu Thomson post and stem on my good bike and wouldn't swap them for carbon if you paid me. Fantastic looking and performing pieces of kit.

Abitrary

I'm not in the same boat as you plan to be in, having gone from a light alu stem, to an even lighter one....

No noticeable difference. I didn't even weigh them

Top Bottom