Stephen Fry's view

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Agree with this in real life, but not that relevant on a forum which is run and moderated by someone else who makes the rules. Life is a right, but being on this forum is a privilege. That's the difference.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Fine at one level, but on the other hand, is it really fine to say "run cyclists over - serves 'em right for not paying road tax". In the pub as a "laugh" is one thing, on national television, or in a (so called) newspaper on the other hand, not something I'd be defending on grounds of liberty.

Or incitement to beat up asians, or homosexuals - still OK for freedom of speech ?
Or unpleasant sexist or racist "banter" - is that really a legitimate freedom ?
What about the freedom of the recipient to not have to put up with a toxic environment

If the racism and sexism on here wasn't curtailed, I doubt many women or minorities would remain. To be honest not sure I'd remain either.

Merely offending someone, isn't really the point

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, Stehen Fry, the slavering car driver with multiple court imposed convictions for speeding.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fine at one level, but on the other hand, is it really fine to say "run cyclists over - serves 'em right for not paying road tax". In the pub as a "laugh" is one thing, on national television, or in a (so called) newspaper on the other hand, not something I'd be defending on grounds of liberty.

Or incitement to beat up asians, or homosexuals - still OK for freedom of speech ?
Or unpleasant sexist or racist "banter" - is that really a legitimate freedom ?
What about the freedom of the recipient to not have to put up with a toxic environment

If the racism and sexism on here wasn't curtailed, I doubt many women or minorities would remain. To be honest not sure I'd remain either.

Merely offending someone, isn't really the point
Inciting someone to beat up minorities or run cyclists over is illegal and nothing to do with what is meant by free speech.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
is it really fine to say "run cyclists over - serves 'em right for not paying road tax". In the pub as a "laugh" is one thing, on national television, or in a (so called) newspaper on the other hand, not something I'd be defending on grounds of liberty.
There was another thread about this sort of thing where someone worded it much better than me. But what I think is, and what I think Stephen Fry means is:

If there's any seriousness or intent in the words, then of course it's not right. By reporting such behaviour you are not saying "I'm offended", but you are saying "that chap sounds like he seriously wants to harm someone based on their gender, race, sexuality etc - he is a threat and should be stopped".

But if said in the correct context (humour), it's the same as a painting. One person's offensive nude woman is another person's valued piece of artwork.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I posted it as I think the moderators are being swamped with people complaining about posts, it's the impression I get from some of the threads that have been closed recently.

Top Bottom