Stephen Fry's view

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I quite liked this blogger's perspective on "offense".
You keep telling me not to get offended, but I’m not. We hear or say “offense” and we think of pearl-clutching and people who say, “Oh, my stars!” and people who can’t hear the word “f**k”* without casting a disapproving look. None of those are me. I’m not “taking things too seriously” when I politely wonder why a movie fails the Bechdel test. Rather, I’m acknowledging that a film could not have two named female characters talk to each other about something other than a man, I am disappointed in that, and I am standing up for change.
https://makemeasammich.org/2013/07/31/im-not-offended/
As they say...
You can keep telling me I’m offended, but you’ll keep being wrong.

*note - that's my substitution, using the preferred method as stated in the forum rules and guidelines since the quote, with the word in its original form, is unacceptable in this place.

User269

Merely offending someone, isn't really the point

Yes it is.
Racism and sexism are both unacceptable, deeply offensive, and in most cases illegal.
Offending someone by expressing an opinion within the confines of the law is called freedom of speech and should not be subject to censorship or any other sanctions.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes it is.
Racism and sexism are both unacceptable, deeply offensive, and in most cases illegal.
Offending someone by expressing an opinion within the confines of the law is called freedom of speech and should not be subject to censorship or any other sanctions.

Given I specifically mentioned racism sexism as being totally unacceptable, and quite a lot worse than "merely offending" I don't know why you've taken issue with that part

I have never heard anyone say "I'm rather offended by that."

Not all that common then.
I did a quick search. Using the exact phrase "I'm rather offended by that" on CC got 6 hits - two of which were your post and then @User3094 quoting you. Then there was one (possibly in jest I didn't read the thread) about sinster/left-handedness, and a reply quoting it, from 2104 and another joking post about the BHF L2B in 2012, and another citation of Mr Fry back in 2012.

I also did a quick search for offended/offense/offensive.

It's interesting to see in what posts, and by whom, they crop up.

View attachment 411015
(Image of the "Philosoraptor" dinosaur with the text "People constantly complain: 'i am offended by people who are offended by things I don't find offensive', and: 'I am offended by people who aren't offended by things I find offensive' should i be offended by this?")
Saw this and thought of this thread :smile:

Top Bottom