Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with aliens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I don't think an alien life form would necessarily be anything like that which we might expect. Certainly not like Star Trek aliens with papier-mâché heads!

Who knows what 'form' they might take? If any at all. We could be surrounded by aliens already :laugh:

ASC1951

Guru
MacB said:
Intelligent life visiting earth or likely to do so - I struggle with this when faced with the size of the universe and distances involved.
Exactly. What SciFi telly and cinema don't show (and probably can't show, because we can't get our heads round it) is the sheer vastness of the cosmos.

It will always need whole lifetimes and vast amounts of energy for any intelligent species to travel even within its own back yard. Broadcast communication is one thing, but there are very few reasons why it would ever be necessary or worthwhile to physically leave your own star system.

Davidc

Guru
Globalti said:
It would be great if Earth was invaded by a species of metal-eating alien who just happened to enjoy scoffing motor cars for a meal.

Rapture, by Blondie (Debbie Harry singing) is about just such an alien! (Doesn't stop at cars though).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Well, there's bike lanes on the moon... :evil:

orig_post_13904.jpe

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Catrike UK said:
Hawking is probably worried they will nick his chair.

I can do a really good impression of Stephen Hawking's "voice" :evil:

The universe, being some 10,000 million years old, is a very long time compared to the time that we humans have existed - a mere fraction of that time.

So, is it not plausible that those beings that have the technology and the biological make-up either to get here and/or get here and survive in our climate, could have missed us already? Might we not miss them in the grand scale of time?

As usual, Hawking is right. Perhaps when you and I are ready to travel to the nearest planet capable of harbouring life, would we, in fact, still be human? I think not. What ever comes along is going to be vastly different and somehow, I think, superior in many ways that will probably not benefit our race.

Top Bottom