Steve Davis!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
Yellow Fang said:
I've often wondered why snooker players seem to lose it in their 30s. You get racing drivers in their 30s and sometimes 40s.

Too old to cope with the late nights, drugs and alcohol??

bianchi1

Guru
I thought it was an amazing display. How many people would put themselves through that much mental anguish if they had nothing to prove. He has after all won everything in the past and must have the odd penny or two. After his first round match he looked like he had run a marathon. His last few shots he was shaking like a leaf!

One of the other players was saying you can't realy compare snooker and golf. With golf you only have to concentrate for few seconds you are hitting the ball, then have a nice walk! Snooker you have to be constantly planning, thinking and controlling your emotions.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Snooker is one of the hardest sports to play and become good at, and even harder still to master. Big respect to the Nugget and hope he gets through to at least the semi's.
You're not wrong there.

Most addictive sport I ever played, yet totally frustrating at times.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's a surprise but I'm not totally shocked. For me, Davis still shows flashes of brilliance on a good day. It's just that he seems to struggle for concentration at times. I sometimes think his problem is that he tries too hard and over-analyses everything which leads to silly mistakes. If he relaxed and played his own game, he could put his vast experience to good use and still do well.

bobg

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
I saw him play an exhibition with Alex Higgins in Romford in 1978, the year before he turned pro.

I think I might have been there too! Was it the Lucania above Burtons? My father in law pointed out this little skinny kid in the crowd and said " he's pretty good" ... it was Jimmy White.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
bobg said:
I think I might have been there too! Was it the Lucania above Burtons? My father in law pointed out this little skinny kid in the crowd and said " he's pretty good" ... it was Jimmy White.
That was the place.

From what I can recall, the match was over a few days, best of 65 frames or there abouts and Davis won.

bobg

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
That was the place.

From what I can recall, the match was over a few days, best of 65 frames or there abouts and Davis won.

Trouble is it inspired me to spend the first 5 years of my marriage haunting this and similar dives. Never did make a ton though:sad: but it wasnt through lack of trying...

Top Bottom