Steve's Homemade Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The LEDs cost something like £5.50 each for the brightest single core LEDs currently available (Cree XPG R5).
Having the LED pointing backwards into a reflector, IQ fashion, definitely seems the way to go, but it isn't really available to the home builder as the LED and reflector positions would have to be bang on,requiring just the right housing. The reflectors aren't available anyway. Out the front units with torch style reflectors are a lot easier.

It's not your topic. Steve30 was interested in dimming.

You know in photography when you use pro lighting flash units you often fit a reflector infront of a reflector to bat the light back and create a more diffuse lighting. This may be a solution. Small reflector over the LED (normally mounted) and held in place with wire.

Heres a pic of the pro flash reflector set up:
1004986.jpg

IceBlue24

I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I'm sure that in time, they will fix this issue but for now, halogen is preferable and cheaper :becool:

you can get warm white LEDs which produce a colour similar to a halogen bulb. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
I really should come up with some way of fixing the bulb in.

I was riding down Sheffield Road at about half past 2 this morning and the 15W bulb fell out. Had to go back up the road to look for it, but the bulb was no good. Fortunately I brought my 5W bulb with me so still had some light.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I really should come up with some way of fixing the bulb in.

I was riding down Sheffield Road at about half past 2 this morning and the 15W bulb fell out. Had to go back up the road to look for it, but the bulb was no good. Fortunately I brought my 5W bulb with me so still had some light.

Some plastic piping, glue a ring on the end to stop the bulb from slipping through, perhaps a bit of glass in there too and seal with silicon around the edge? You could glue the whole arrangement in there plus a small battery at a later date.

Top Bottom