Sticking Brake Calliper on my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I have an old Diesel Auto that's been absolutely brilliant (reliability wise) for the ten years I've owned it.
It's inevitable though that a 20 year old car is going to get problems though, and mine has developed a sticky front brake calliper. I've cleaned it up a few times in the past but the problem keeps coming back, so it's off the local garage this coming Tuesday to get it replaced with a new one.
I've also noticed the car has not got its usual get up and go. The slightest hill really dulls it speed pushing the auto box to drop a gear. I'm hedging my bets it's the sticking brake Calliper that's doing this, but I'm not 100% certain. The caliper is only slightly seized but it does get rather hot after a 10 mile drive and can i certainly smell it, but the wheel can still be turned relatively easily, so to me it's just slightly sticking.
Would this "slight sticking" affect the cars performance or do you think there's something else lurking in a problem engine wise.
All the best,
Johnny

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A "Slightly sticking caliper" should not have any effect.

When you say 'cleaned it up' what have you actually cleaned.

The reason they start sticking generally is due to corrosion behind either the dust seal or the main piston seal or both.

You need to remove the pistons and seals and clean the groove they sit in thoroughly, dremel and wire brush attachment is ideal for this.

Brakes will need a bleed after but it's a pretty simple, although time consuming job.

Small tip, pump the pistons as far out as you can before disconnecting brake hose as they're a basket to get out once they're off.

If the disc is getting hot due to the pads 'dragging' it will only get worse as things expand with the heat generated so in extreme circumstances it may slow the car down but I doubt it.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks @Smokin Joe.That's what I'm thinking to be honest. The car is usually quite gutsy power wise which makes me think a sticky calliper would not be felt by it. The calliper in question does however get really hot to the point the alloy wheel is to hot to touch, and is now very dirty from brake dust due to the brake sticking on.
Either way the brake needs sorting and once sorted I can then see whether or not it was holding back my old iron chariot

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks @shep for your help.
I'm not very confident with doing the brakes so only gave them a general clean up i,e cleaning the brake carrier etc. I've untrusted the job to a garage to replace the calliper as i don't trust my abilities to swapping them around myself for a new one.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Some callipers have guide pins that the calliper slides left and right on. Iv heard they become dry dirty and corroded on old cars. Iv heard of competent independent tyre and exhaust fitters to clean, grease and work them back into smooth action for around £20.

gbb

Legendary Member
The loss of power could be a multitude of things, injectors, injector seals or coils going, low fuel pressure, worn fuel pump, or simple stuff such as a fuel filter needs replacing (starving the system of fuel).
I'd bet its fuel related. Or MAFF / map sensor

Drago

Legendary Member
Most manufacturers sell the guide pins on their own, separate from the caliper, and usually not too expensive. New guide pins, clean up the caliper and around the seal, refit using proper moly anti seize, and Robert is your Mother's Brother.

Having said that, a caliper sticking badly enough to curtail the engines output will make the wheel very hot very quickly, so should be readily apparent.

D

Deleted member 26715

A "Slightly sticking caliper" should not have any effect.
I disagree, one that smells after 10 miles is more than slightly sticking

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for the good advice. Once I've had the calliper sorted, I'll sure to let you know how the old banger is going. 👍👍

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Just a quick update as promised,
Today i got the car back. Sure enough the calliper was completely knackered and badly seized. So with a new calliper and fresh set of brake pads on the front i took it off for a Drive to see if the binding brakes were the cause of the cars jaded performance.
Well it went like a scalded cat again pulling cleanly through the auto box. At first i thought is this the old placebo effect, but after a few miles it became evident it was now sorted out.
Thanks for all the help and advice on this to you fellow members here👍🙏

Top Bottom